1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should i wear a vest?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by st8shuter, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

whats the advantage/disadvantage, should i wear one if so why? am i missing something? or is it just to look cool?

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

It is only a prop to make the ones that can't shoot look like they can.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the vest better than a belt and a pouch. Much more comfortable and functional in my opinion. Never really thought of it as a fashion statement.

4. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

90-100F here in the South, I chose to wear a pouch.

5. jhjanko

jhjanko TS Member

I'm with Hatshooter. I have not worn a vest in years, for the exact same reason. A wide brimmed, straw hat and a Lonesome Charlie pouch. T-shit (clean), tennis shoes and shorts. Lets shoot!

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Vests...<UL><LI>make you look cool<LI>provide a little bit of recoil relief<LI>make it a bit harder to feel the butt pad in the shoulder pocket<LI>keep butt pads from staining your shirt<LI>can get soggy wet in the summer heat<LI>can add another layer of protection on cool breezy days<LI>can bunch up in your shoulder or move around and make a comfortable gun mount difficult if they don't fit right<LI>provide more pockets for your "stuff"<LI>need to be washed more often than many seem to do if you don't want them to smell like the dog's bed</UL>

I don't wear one.

MK

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Somehow I never thought wearing a micro-miniskirt was my style.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

jhjanko, how do you clean that T-shit? :^)

9. FFS

FFS Member

To be the MOST COMFORTABLE, BEST LOOKING and FEELING GOOD Shooter you should be wearing a SHOOTING SHIRT BY FRAN . :0)

When You look and feel good you shoot good ( a Proven Fact )

Click on my link and take a look

FRAN

440 323 6199

[​IMG]

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I use a vest. It doesn't bunch up like a t-shirt does and it holds my ear plugs,eye glass rag, two boxes of shells, extra shells and 100 empties.

11. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

st8shuter,

Do you need one for recoil reduction or want one to hold your stuff?

What are you using now? What do you use in cold weather? Does it bother you to hang 2.5 lbs off your belt?

You are the only person that can answer these questions since it's a lot like choosing boxers or briefs!

GoodLuck,
    TNCoach

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Have you ever been shooting and the guy next to you just has his box of shells at his feet. Not having a vest or shell bag/hull pouch never bothered that guy. I'm sure you guys have seen it before.

13. jhjanko

jhjanko TS Member

"jhjanko, how do you clean that T-shit? :^)"

Washing machine? Just a guess. What's your method? {;-D

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

And be sure to wear a bow tie too. HMB

15. biggunone

biggunone Member

yes and no when its to hot no when its not yes

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I wore a vest for several years and quit using one just last year. I found that the vest was preventing me from "feeling" the pad settle into my shoulder pocket properly every time I mounted the gun. Yes, the vest fit me as it should have, it was just that the pad on my shoulder had just enough padding to get in the way. I also was getting tired of lugging around a bunch of stuff in the pockets that I really didn't need to shoot with. More than anything else, it just got in the way. I have since changed to a single box shell holder for singles and caps that has a clip on for 2 extra shells, and 2 single box holders for doubles accompanied by a pouch that holds 50 empties. I find this set-up much nicer, and a heck of a lot more comfortable..... Just my preference... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I didn't read the posts here but I had a vest and when its HHH you sweat like a pig. I now have a half vest or as some call them aprins. It is much more comfortable then the vest.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think all those guys that hang all their stuff on their belts look like window washers. He He.

19. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I use a half vest. I seem to be the only one around here who does. It's a lot cooler than a full vest. Also, it keeps the weight of the shells on my hip, not pulling down on my shoulder. That makes my gun mount more comfortable.

Dave

20. grummanflyr

grummanflyr TS Member

I agree with LFT687 a half vest or apron does the same job , is cooler and a lot more comfortable in the summer heat.
    Walt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
should i wear a shooting vest
should i wear a shooting vest for trap

should i wear trap shooting vest

why a trap vest
why use a shooting vest