1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Use Different Loads for Doubles?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ks-trap-shooter, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks-trap-shooter

ks-trap-shooter TS Member

I am very new to doubles. The first time I shot them I used 1oz. 1290 fps for both shots. I guess I did ok for my first time. I broke every 1st bird, but dropped a few of the 2nd's. Upon further research, I see where a lot of guys are using different shells for each shot. Can anyone tell me what the advantages are and what size & velocity I should use for each shot. Thank You Very Much.
    Ryan

2. setter

setter Member

1 oz of 8's are fine for doubles. I've broke several 100's with'em. However, I prefer to keep the speed around 1150 fps. Why? Because the 1200 fps plus of 1 oz will kick me more than a light 1 and 1/8 oz load. There is an infamous KS shooter that I usually beat in doubles, SNIPER1969, we shoot a lot of light 8 Estates (1 and 1/8) at doubles. And at everything else. I'll probably get this wrong but the KTA Pres is a fair doubles shooter & I think he uses light 8's on first shot and 3 dram 8's on 2nd. He's young and strong.

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

No need for a 3dram load for either. 1oz 8's first shot 1 1/8- 7 1/2 on second shot........score priceless.

GS

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Many people do and many people do not and each swear by their decision. There is really no need for 3 dram loads for either shot and some of my best scores in the other century were 1 oz of 8s at approx. 1180 fps. No worry which shell went where in the gun that way.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

The late Frank Little professed that 2 3/4 "eights" were fine for both shots in doubles, and for handicap to the 22 yd. line.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use what Frank Little told me to use many years ago. For the first shot, a light 1 oz load is fine if you are comfortable with it. For the second shot, use the same load that you use for singles.

Ryan- You mentioned that you dropped a few second birds. We all have this problem and it is very rarely due to the load we are shooting at the second bird. There are many ways to miss the second target. Coming out of the gun after the first shot is at the top of the list, not using the correct shell is way down at the bottom of the list.

I suspect all shooters that shoot two different shells at doubles have at times gotten the boxes mixed up and shot the shell designed for the first bird at the second bird, and the shell intended for the second bird was used for the first bird. I have done this with no noticeable problem.

My advice it to pay the most attention to the most important things. Work on staying in the gun for the second shot, shoot the first bird smoothly and quickly and see the second bird very clearly. When you are firmly on the gun and you see the second bird clearly, the gun just seems to shoot by itself.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I tried some light AA, low-noise / low-recoil 7/8 oz. 8's for the first shot on doubles the other night just for the hell of it. The thought was that with basically no muzzle jump or recoil, the move to the second bird would be smoother, hence easier. I thought it worked pretty well. The 1 or 2 first birds I dropped weren't the fault of the load. It was me, trying to really pick up the speed to the second shot, but I got caught speeding a bit in the latter part my experiment (25 pair). All in all, I thought they worked very, very well. Not sure what the experts would say about it, but hey...

I'm going to shoot them again, but I'm now leaning toward loading up some 7/8 oz. 8's if I knew what Claybuster wads to buy. Does anyone happen to know?

Jon Reitz

8. mark54

mark54 Member

Jon, the Claybuster wad is the grey one, number CB 0718-12.

Mark54 in Lititz

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jon- The super lite AA shells just do not make enough bang and do not bump me enough for me to have confidence in them. Admittedly, they do seem to do the job OK, but my lack of confidence causes me problems. The confidence problem is in my head, not the shells, but it is still there.

Pat Ireland

10. Jon Reitz

Thanks Mark54! That was my guess. Any idea which one to use for Remington hulls?

11. Jon Reitz

Pat,
    I understand that, as I tried a few boxes last year for singles. Other than the complete absence of recoil I was not impressed with them at all. As you put it, the lack of confidence just plain became the overriding factor in deciding not to shoot them. And if you really want to get scared, go to the pattern board with a couple!

But so far I'm intrigued and pretty pleased with the results of using them for doubles (first shot). More to follow...

Jon Reitz

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jon, those gray wads ARE the ones for Remington or Winchester hulls. The Winchester AA 12L or CB 0178 are the same wad and for your tapered hulls.

I've been using 7/8 oz of 9s for the first shot for a very long time; 1 oz of 8s for the second. I can't argue with the first bird appearing to hit a glass wall with the weenie loads and it's never the load's fault when I miss the second. On occasion it's only weenies in the box and I'll shoot them at both birds with exactly the same results but I understand Pat's need for confidence. I'll wager if he'd try the weenies for a whole year, he'd consider sticking with them. My remarks above still stand; some do, some don't and we all think we're doing the right thing.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, Iowa then-delegate Phil Thyer broke the only 100 to win the Doubles Championship at his state shoot. Same shell both barrels, 7/8 oz. Maybe he said 3/4 oz. In either case . . .

Neil

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Remington STS Light Target loads in #8 works for me, in Mod/Full. If you think about it, even the second bird is like shooting easy singles from the 25. It doesn't take supersonic loads or big shot for either one.

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ryan.....For what it's worth: For several years, I shot doubles using a 1oz. load of 8's for both shots. They were between 1150-1175fps. During that time, I was carrying an .86-.88. average, usually closer to the .86. My highest score was a lone 95. At the beginning of the season last year, after discussing my doubles with a very well known doubles shooter, I switched to shooting a 1oz. load of 8's for the first shot (1150fps.) and a full 3dr. 11/8oz. handicap load of 71/2's for the second shot. (1250fps.) Since that switch, my average is now .9100 over my last 2000 registered targets, with several 98's in the mix. There is no doubt in my mind that this change, alone, was directly responsible for the increase in my scores, as I didn't change anything else. I load my 1oz. loads in a STS hull and my 11/8oz loads in a Nitro hull so I never have to wonder which shell is which. The simple fact for me is I shoot better doubles using 1oz. for the first shot, and a 3dr. 11/8oz for the second shot. My scores are all the proof I need........Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. ks-trap-shooter

ks-trap-shooter TS Member

Thanks for all the advice!

17. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

7/8 0f 8s first bird, 1oz 8s second.

Larry

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Sometimes I shoot 1 1/8 oz "light" 1145fps #8s for both shots, sometimes I drop down to 1 oz "Xtra lite" 1180fps #8s for the first shot/"light 8s" for the second. Depends on the phase of the moon & the mood I'm in.

Suggest if you're gonna' use two different loads that you use different colored shells so you can tell 'em apart at a glance, even after you've dropped 'em in the chambers, just by the appearance of the heads and primers. If you don't do that someday you're gonna' be standing there with the gun closed pointed at the hold point ready to call "pull" and the thought will cross your mind "hmmm----I wonder if I dropped 'em in the chambers in the proper order??"

John C. Saubak

19. BMC

BMC Member

Ryan, I'll play devil's advocate here a little bit. In my opinion, a person can run them all using the loads you described using. The reason I have that opinion is that is the only load I use...period..for all of the trap disciplines. They are affordable for me, and I get even a better deal buying them in bulk. I cut my shooting teeth on those loads and "prefer" them over any other. I've never shot a 100 in doubles with them, but countless 99s. They work just fine, as long as YOU are comfortable with them. Do other speeds, shot size, shot weights, etc work good in doubles? Of course they do. I've shot other load samples in doubles and did just fine with them too. But I have a large stash of those 1oz 1290s and prefer them. Personally I believe that if you can effectively shoot both targets in a relatively average to slightly above average speed, you could use any legal trap load in doubles and be successful. More doubles targets are lost by one or all of three things. Shooting too fast. Aiming "at" the second target. And peaking or lightly lifting your head off the stock when coming to the second target. One gun--One shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loads for doubles