1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Upgrade My Loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EEB, Jun 9, 2013.

1. EEB

EEB Member

I load on a used MEC 9000. My sons and I probably shoot about two flats a month. The MEC does about 250 rounds per hour and I watch for primer and shot drops to make sure everything progresses as it should. I don't have to fiddle with the MEC too much. Would a PW or a Spolar load any faster? Not sure it's worth the extra investment. I should probably get the larger capacity primer setup for the 9000. Thanks

2. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have the Spolar and had several Dillons. But, if I was only loading the same amount as you, I'd have the 9000 or the Grabber. Really not, at least to me, worth the extra money for the amount you are loading.

I shoot a lot and my wife shoots as much as she can on the weekends or on other days off. So, I need (or think I need) something that makes a quality reload fast.

Bob

3. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

You are ahead of the game if you are not having any problems with what you are using now.

I can see you have the trap shooter mentality of "what can I do to make it better"

Sometimes it is better to stick with what is working.

You have to watch everything, no matter what reloader you use.

The only way to not pay attention to the system is to buy boxed shells.

Kenny U

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can do 500 shells an hour with a Dillon, PW, or Spolar without breaking a sweat. More if you want to work at it. So, do your really need one of these reloaders?

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

RCBS is a quality machine too. I can do about 400 an hour on mine if I work at it.
    I also have several 9000's that work just fine. I load several thousand per month so the need for multiple machines reduces fooling around time.

Chuck

6. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

The question is, is the extra money spent worth being able to reload 100-200 more shells within an hour (for you)? Do you just want a new toy to enjoy and is the cost difference worth it to you?

Basing on cost factor alone, probably not worth it. But there may be many other factors too.

7. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

With a loading helper you can easily do 600 per hour on a MEC 9000 G or H. I upgraded from a G to an H (Hydraulic) and love it!!

YES the upgraded 200 primer tray, bottle support, large bottle both sides .... will speed up the reloading process. For the amount you reload the above items will certainly help speed things up.

Bob

8. 548

548 Guest

It's fun getting new crap. Obviously you can afford it because money was never in your proposed equation, so go for it.

9. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

A second from me on the 9000H. If it is speed you want, I love mine and have very few problems. Just my 2 cents

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If you'd like a little more speed why not add the electric Auto-Mate to your 9000.

Seeing as how you probably know all of the little quirks of your reloader, you would feel right at home with the Auto-Mate hooked up to your reloader.

I have one and I love it.

Hauxfan!

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

10-12 boxes an hour, is pretty nice clip, in and of itself, one box every 5-6 minutes is one shell every 12-15 seconds, not making mistakes... taking into consideration the couple minutes it takes to refill powder, shot and primers, as well as get a few more empty shell boxes or refill the hull hamper...

I can see the potential to load that many shells per hour, but if you actually generate that output, do you enjoy the self-loading aspect or is it just another task?!

Jay

12. thunder

thunder Active Member

Stay with the mec 9000. Inexpensive to repair and last forever with a little maintenance.

13. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Yes a spolar will load much faster, but for 500 shells month it isn't worth it in your case. To be honest, for two flats a month, I wouldn't even load, unless reloading is something you enjoy. If it isn't buy 5 flats of AA's on sale, send in the rebate, sell the hulls, and shoot premium ammo for 5$-6$ a box. Or just buy gun clubs.

14. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

With my PW I can load a box in 5 minutes or less. Thats roughly 300 an hour. I think a pw is the easiest to use if its synched properly. Once u have it set up properly they load great shells. A Mec is easier to adjust though. 800b are decent. 900 and 950s are what I use. Have access to a 900 20 gauge for 350 if you are interested. Crappy thing about pws though are they are a bitch to ship.

15. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I load 6-7 boxes per hour on my MEC 9000 while watching basketball and football. Like you I was thinking of a Spolar, but I think I may just go with an automate for the 9000. My 9000 runs like a swiss watch, with the occasional primer flip which I watch for. I do have the large primer tray.

16. In plain view

In plain view Member

Just purchased a new 9000G w/autemate short while ago. Once I stopped the fuses from blowing and got a little used to it, things smoothed out a lot. It is a known fact the automate will, 99 times out of 100, blow the fuse if there is any restriction on the downward stroke. Other than that, just had it checked by a factory rep, couple adjustments made and back in business. Being a senior vet I can now sit on a comfortable stool and reload until my hearts content. Speed is not important to me. Bob+

17. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

At the rate you save reloading these days, and for the amount you reload, it will take you three and half years to pay for a Spolar. Three and half years in a long time. That's not a good pay-back. And what will your son be doing in three and half years? College? Armed forces? Married? Still shooting?

You Mec should handle two flats a month without breaking a sweat. And there really isn't much difference in time loading two flats on a MEC vesus two flats on a Spolar.

18. EEB

EEB Member

Thanks for the replies. I believe I will hang on to the MEC, send it in for a tuneup, and get a couple updates like the lrger primer system, etc.

19. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

If your sons are shooting your ammo, it's probably past time to make them "get some skin in the game".

Teach them how to reload error-free, and make them do it. It'll save you money, time, and effort.

And you won't have to pony up for a new machine.
    jh

20. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

I loaded on a PW 800 B for 40 years. I upgraded from the PW to a Spolar aBout a year ago. The only issue I have is I didn't do it sooner. The PW was/ is a great machine but I feel that he Spolar is superior.