1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I see perfect "8" ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ansvel, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

I red a lot about gun fitting and all authors force to ajust the gun in order to se a perfect "8". On my gun I see the gap between beads about 1/2 inch. Should I adjust?
    What do think? Thanks.

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Should I see perfect

I think you need to look at the target and the quality of your breaks and not the alignment of the beads.

Jeff

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Should I see perfect

Ansvel, a perfect figure 8 means nothing! a little free lesson coming here, take a little piece of paper and make a tiny spitball about the size of a bead, mount the gun and look over the rib, now have a buddy or even yourself move the spitball forward until you see a figure 8, now have you changed the impact of the gun? no, does it shooting higher or lower? no, the middle seerves only one purpose and that is to let the shooter know if his comb needs cast off or cast on, {moving the comb left or right to have both beads line up]. I have had same model, brand etc. guns with the middle bead as much as 1 inch closer or farther than the other from the factory the illusion of higher or lower impacts now you can see means nothing. all the best incinerate em!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Should I see perfect

Before your questions can be adressed you must find out if your gun shoots straight. A good place to start is at the patterning board. Distance 13 yards shooting from a rest. See where the POI is in relation to the beads. HMB

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Should I see perfect

A perfect 10 would be nicer. To be serious I personally like to see some space between the beads. If I don't my pea brain says I'm shooting a flat gun shooting gun like I shot with for so long when I first started that wasn't a real trap gun. So when I see some space, and it is a certain amount, I feel confident to focus on the bird an know I don't have to cover it up or shoot as I pass by it on the straights. But that's just me and my experience. If I had started with a real trap gun that shot the appropriate amount high with figure 8's it would probably be different for me.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Should I see perfect

bigben- I totally agree with your post.

Pat Ireland

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Should I see perfect

I can't believe you mean that Pat. You understand trig better than that, maybe you just agree to forget the bead?

ansvel, if your gun is shooting good for you now, you are hitting the birds and your comfortable with it you don't need to change anything. If you scrunch your head down so you see a figure 8 you won't be shooting in the same place.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Should I see perfect

sliverbulletexpress- The key angle is between your eye and the front sight. It is not the relationship between the front sight and the mid bead. I recognize that the angle between your eye and the front sight can have a secondary influence on the distance between the front sight and the mid bead. Moving the mid bead along the rib will change the distance between the mid bead and the front sight but as long as your eye and the front sight remain constant, the POI will not change.

Pat Ireland

9. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Should I see perfect

Sliverbullet I think you are right. I do the same. I like to see a lot of space between the beads and that is why my gun shoots %100 to %110 high. Whenever I pick someone's else's gun and see the same as mine, I shoot under the bird and I smoke it even when it is not my gun. Peter

10. JTEA

JTEA Member

Should I see perfect

Your point of impact is the important fact. Does it shoot "where you look"? If so, forget about it and use it as a reference to know you have mounted properly on every shot. If not, adjust your comb so it shoots where you want, then see how the beads are aligned.

If you wanted the beads to be a figure 8 you must first know where you want it to shoot. The impact point, (comb) then the rib would have to be adjusted. (raised or lowered / add-on rib)

JT

11. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Should I see perfect

Pat, if he scrunches down to get the figure 8 he has diminished the angle between eye and front sight, thus lowering his POI. Rear sight is the eye "Sights down, lower impact" J.Woolsey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.