1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I see perfect "8" on my barrel?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

Should I see perfect

Shoot bunker.
    Now I see a small distance between two beads, like 2-3mm.
    I checked on a board and have 80/20 patern.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Should I see perfect

If by 80/20 you mean the center of the pattern strikes 9" high at 40 yards I probably wouldn't change anything. If I were going to change something, I'd probably lower the comb so POI was between 4" and 6" at 40 yards. Forget the figure 8 nonsense.

3. Ljutic Guy

Ljutic Guy Member

Should I see perfect

A perfect figure 8 with the beads just touching is a good reference point so you know you mount your shotgun the same each time. With the perfect figure 8 is it easy to see if it is repeated each mount. If you have a gap, it is more difficult to tell if the mount is the same each time ie is this mount a 2mm gap, or a 3mm gap etc. A small differance will affect you POI, but not much. If you can consistally repeat the same gap each time you mount you would be OK. The hard part is knowing if each gap you see is the same amount.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Should I see perfect

Checking and re-checking the "perfect" bead alignment for a figure 8 is a bad habit to get into! A good reference bead on the barrels end is all that's needed when used properly. A new shooter would be much better off learning proper stock fit and the correct POI for whatever game he chooses to shoot and forget about the figure 8. Two beads were a sales gimmick so possible buyers could say,"this one fits", I can make a figure 8 with it? Hap

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Should I see perfect

If you mount the gun correctly and have a good gun mount memory you will ... beads? What beads are you talking about ... oh ... them little things on the barrel. Ya know I really dont even notice them anymore and hardly ever look at them other than just to see if they have fallen of or not.

Once you get used to your gun and know where it shoots and get to know just by the feel of it if you have it mounted right or not you will learn to realize that ... that ... oh yeah them bead things really dont mean anything anymore.

Are you talking about a figure 8 that is up and down or a figure 8 that is on its side?

6. ansvel

ansvel Member

Should I see perfect

2 Mr Newbius

I'm talking about two beads on my barrel, the front one and the middle one.
    BTW, that is "mount the gun correctly" in your understanding?

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Should I see perfect

There is beads on the barrel? Ya know I remember once looking at them little bumps on there but they hardly mean a single thing to me now.

Once you learn what a proper gun mount is to you and how it feels and you get to learn the feel of it you will not be needing this bead looking and figure 8 garbage anymore but instead you will know you have a proper gun mount by feel and you will/should never really need to look at them little barrel bumps again.

Dont stress on them beady barrel bumps ... once its right you will learn what it feels like and know how it is supposed to feel all the time and then ... well ... then you'll be crushing all the ones you hit.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Should I see perfect

If you like where your gun shoots fig8 and you can get that fig8 with out much hassel....its ok. I am with the beads? what beads? guys. I went from bird hunting to trap shooting. Bird hunting see bird, track bird move gun to shoulder BANG follow through. Never had time to check beads. Started shooting trap. finally have a gun that shoots the way I want. Beads are now useless.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Should I see perfect

The advantage, or necessity, of a figure 8 configuration of the shotgun sights is an old shotgun myth, and these myths resist eradication. The necessity of a figure 8 bead alignment is in the same category as slow burning powders reducing recoil. Regardless of the information available, some will cling to their mythical positions.

Pat Ireland

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Should I see perfect

It all depends. Here I go. Thank god you shoot bunker or this would turn into a release trigger war.LOL The Beads are only useful as an aid to practicing and checking your mount. They have little to do with shooting it. If your aware of a fig. 8 when your shooting your doing it wrong and will probably never shoot a good score. It all depends on where your barrels shoot If you break targets when your mount setup has the beads in a figure 8 position it's ok.
    Joe goldberg

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Should I see perfect

Ya know this is just kind of goes to show that some will go overboardly anal about some things they read or hear about shooting.

I bet that if somebody came up with an exacting foot placement diagram pad that for each station that is the perfect foot alignment and such and that your feet should always be pointing to the left if you were a right handed shooter and to the right if you were a left handed shooter and ... well ... there would be those who would try it and want full explanational paragraphs on exactly to the upteenththouasandth of a millimeter of exactness as to this and that with charts of course ... well there would be people who would think they need to do it just because it was said and heard that is the way it should be.

Screw your beads ... it aint your beads that is causing you to shoot poorly but it is ... the placement of your feet, you need to point your feet towards WalMart.

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Should I see perfect

The figure 8 myth is a bunch of crap. You need to be concerned about them lining up, that's all. The center bead is for fitting purposes only. Depending on what your desired POI is (and rib type), the amount of rib that you see (and distance between beads) will change.

13. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Should I see perfect

I like 7 1/2's D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.