1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I have my Beretta reblued and where?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by samer0214, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

I bought a Beretta S682X Trap combo (born in 1985) a year ago, for $1,100 and I had it completely serviced at a cost of $300 and an adjustable butt plate installed.

The gun is not cosmetically pretty, as it had been shot quite a bit. No dents or gouges or major defects, just not as nice looking as the other guns I own. I would like to have it completely blued (2 barrells and frame). Two questions:

1) Am I crazy sinking all that money in it, knowing that the bluing will cost $$$$
    2) If yes, who would you recommend

Thanks - Samer

2. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

3. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

It sounds like you have the same thoughts as I am having. I have the same gun. I feel that I like the gun and it will make "ME" feel a lot better if it looked as good as it shoots. It's a personal thing. How many times have you spent money on something that really wasn't, dollar wise, worth it ? I have been considering the Gun Doctor -- Doug Braker and there is always Coles Gunsmithing. Bill Hom

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

check out Glenrock Blue

http://www.gunbluing.com/

They did some bluing for me, excellent work, and prices are not too bad.

5. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

6. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

I have the same gun, The 34" shoots great, I have a problem w/ the 30" I'm keeping it, might put some $$$ into wood and metal finishing

7. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

People and guns are the same. As long as they both work, leave them alone. They are like an aging man with lines and wrinkles on his face. You are suppose to age gracefully, same as guns. Bluing wore off on a gun shows the history and the shooting wars they have previously encountered. Don't dye your hair, don't blue your gun, it's like putting lipstick on a pig. Vic Reinders once told me "When I go to a shoot, I never worry about the guy with the gun with the spanking new gun with gold and bright bluing, as the owner usually has not had the gun long enough to really know how the gun shoots. I worry about the guy who has a work worn gun with the bluing off, may be throw in a little rust, as this guy most likely knows how to shoot this gun", enough said.
    Steve Balistreri

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Glenrock Blue is one of the best I have ever had do bluing. A small, friendly shop that gives a damn about superior work.

I send all my Perazzi's and other gun there.

Give Phli or Doug a call, (307) 436-2330, or click the link above to see their site.

Whiz White

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Let me know what the refinishers say about the 682X Trap receiver as far as refinishing goes. I don't think what was on there was "blue" as we know it. In fact, I don't know if the barrels are blued by any traditional method. Refinishing Beretta shotguns is "black magic" to most refinishers.

11. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

I will contact Glenrock Blue and enquire about their service. Thanks for the recommendation.

eightbore: You are right in that the 682X does not have typical bluing. I had contacted Cole Gunsmithing a while back and they had mentioned something to that effect, I just can't remember what it's called now.

Back to my original question though, is all that expense warranted on this gun?

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

If the gun was mine I would get it reblued. Life is to short to have a ugly gun.
    Glenrock Blue or Doug at Gun Dr. would be my choice.

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Keep it as a "back up" and use the re-blue $$ to buy a new one. Regards, Ed

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have seen Glenrocks work and it is outstanding. Either them or Doug Braker is my choice

15. eightbore

The 682X does not lose receiver finish in most examples. However, my 682X is as white as an old sheet from 25 years of regular use. I would not consider refinishing this gun which shows how hard I worked to wear it off. The barrels still maintain 100% of their finish, as does the trigger plate.

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Way back in the 80's when the 680 series gun first came out, all of their receivers were chrome plated, then had some type of "paint" applied.

I found this out about the time some of these guns needed rebluing. I polished the paint off and got everything prepped and ready for the bluing tank. After about 15 minites in the tank, the screws, top lever, and forend iron were all turning black, but not the receiver. The receiver just stayed a nice glossy silver.

I pulled the receiver from the tank and tested all around it with some cold blue, all it did was bead up and run off.

I do not know when Beretta stop plating the receivers, so just a little warning, if you do have someone reblue it...it may not turn black, and you'll have a silver receiver.

Doug Braker

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Doug.. when you hard chrome a receiver.. does that put an end to the wear on the pivot points..???? Maybe even tighten it up a little bit??? Years ago I heard of a treatment where the receiver was heated to 800 degrees???? and when it came out.. it had a very hard surface to it...a dull grey finish.. Do you remember what that was.. and was it any good???? Do you do it??? All Good.. Mike

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

PBB I think you are talking about Melonite which is supposedly the same thing Glock used on their slides. Hard stuff but the process looks like it would be rough on the base material to me.

19. eightbore

If a gunsmith got an unexpected result when attempting to refinish a gun part, I would never contract with that gunsmith to do another job, ever. Not to disparage Doug, but he is not my gunsmith and he never will be.

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Eightbore.. that was uncalled for.. Doug is both a friend of mine.. and one of the BEST.. general gunsmiths I have ever known.. When you refinish a metal.. without knowing everything it has gone thru..you sometimes get a unwanted result.. If you check with ANY refinisher..you'll hear the same,truthful answer.. I'd quicker run from the man who says it ALWAYS goes perfect.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 686 barrel re blue

can beretta reblue a gun

re blue beretta shotgun

reblueing beretta barreles