Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOULD I GET MY TMX PORTED ??

2K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  BLKLAB 
#1 ·
THE QUESTION IS SHOULD I GET MY PERAZZI TMX PORTED. WHAT WOULD THIS DO FOR ME ?

#6 ·
I disagree! Porting is good, especially when shooting registered events. The additional noise heard by squadmates, irritates and therefore distracts them, the barrel would be lighter so you can swing faster, your attitude will be improved because you spent all that money improving your gun, you will be able to visualize the significantly ficticious reduction in barrel-rise and if you are a bit obsessive compulsive, you will have something else to attend to when cleaning your gun after every event.

Rollin

#9 ·
I bought my TMX used about 20 years ago and it was ported by Pro-Port by the previous owner. No problem with the EDM method of porting and it is a minor nuisance to clean the powder residue off the barrel. The gun has very little recoil and does not have a recoil reducer or even extra weight and the high rib is automatically heavier than a TM-1. I have an MX-3 Doubles gun the same age as the TMX and it is not ported and also has little recoil compared to a previously owned Browning Citori that was Pro-Ported. My opinion: porting is unnecessary.

#10 ·
I too had a gun ported years ago. All it did was reduce the money avilable for psychotropic drugs and luring young boys. To make matters even worse, I am a bit obsessive compulsive, believing that a clean gun is a happy gun. Cleaning out all those little, oval, holes created a noticeable pain in that upon which I sit.

Rollin

#12 ·
no as i'm currently looking for a 34'' tmx for a project but one of my prerequisites is that is have no porting bbl work by either wilkinson or allor is fine i don't even if the stock is altered as i'm going to have it all re=done, stock bluing trigger and all re=built but they all seem to be ported damn steve

#18 ·
all my guns that are keepers are ported. with high cheek bones like a girl any recoil that doesn't hit my face is appreciated. Does porting work? Sure it does and anybody who says otherwise is wrong. Porting doesn't reduce muzzel jump it elimantes it. Now, if you don't have girly cheek bones like mine that are way sensative from shooting about 300,000 rounds of factory winchester AA's in an 870 field gun you may not need it in a single barrel gun. I know many people who port their barrels and will not be involved in a pissing match with a bunch of guys on a chat site. Let's put it another way.. Unless your singles avergae is AA you wil lbe better off spending that 150 bucks on lessons from one of the pro's. The mind is a very powerful thing and if your mind sees it as an advantage then by all means do it. The amount of guys who truly will not buy a used trap gun because it is ported is not nearly as large as it might seem from reading this thread. I have looked at thousands of trap guns around thousands of other trap shooters and I have not once seen a guy drop a gun as though snake bit and exclaim" Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it's ported" Name me one Pro who doesn't have Ported barrels? It's not going to make a shooter out of you but hey? Look at all the people you can piss off without even trying. It's better then one of those VISA Priceless commercials. Jeff

#19 ·
The POI will be lowered a small amount, usually not enough to notice. Total recoil will not be reduced but mussel jump will be reduced. This could reduce felt recoil on the face for many. Porting is beneficial for at least the first shot on doubles and could allow some shooters to more comfortably keep their head on the stock.

Clearly, some shooters do not want their guns ported, but surprisingly, they also do not want any other shooters guns ported.

Pat Ireland

#20 ·
Jerry, try porting your slug gun and you will see a huge decrease in muzzel jump. It's clear to me that ou have never shot a slug barrel that has been ported or you wouldn't spew as you do. A barrel is ported to elimanate muzzel jump not reduce recoil. Jeff

#21 ·
Jerry, Your just talking silly now. The biggest advantage is on short barreled guns that shoot heavy loads like slugs and buckshot. At least be honest and admit you have never done it. Ray Charles could see the diffrence on a riot gun.Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.