1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I change powders?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by need to shoot more, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I have been reloading with 700x since I have been shooting 25yrs or so is there a better choice? cost,cleaner burning etc. right know shoot 1-1/8" If I would change it would be nice to be flexible to shoot 1oz.any suggestions would be appreciated! My remaining stock is running low.Thank You, Jim Z.

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have shot 700X for 42 years and a couple of years ago I switched to one ounce loads with it and couldn't be happier. I use 16.7 grains with AA wads or claybuster AA replacement wads. Its a great powder for one ounce loads but I am sure others are too.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Stick with what you like, When availabilty and cost become an issue then think about change.

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

If it ain't broke, dont fix it. If you've been patterning well and breaking good scores, why change? I've been using Red Dot for 45 years and never missed a target because of the powder.

Ed Yanchok

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

700x is a good powder and you could live happily ever after if you never tried any others. My favorite trap load powder is CLAYS and I mostly load 1 OZ shells. A huge number of shooters swear by Red Dot. The people on this forum will probably come up with a dozen great powders for your application. You have a long history with 700X so you must have a lot of confidence in it, why fix it if it isn't broken? By the way, I think 700X is even better for 1 OZ shells than it is for 1 1/8 Oz loads, it is certainly versatile enough to be a top choice for both.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've done a considerable lot of chronographing and record keeping with different loads and powders. I started at a time I had shot 700X for about 20 years and found little reason to change. I can say that the one powder I've fooled with that has the most consistent averages and standard deviations is good ol' 700X. The only reason I can think of to consider change would be cost. Others I've fooled with include Nitro 100, Clays, Internation Clays (the worst records), Green Dot and a few I can't remember off the top of the head. Does it leave a little debris in the barrel? Yup but it's gone with a couple of swipes with the mop rod right after shooting so who the heck cares.

Tripod's 1 oz load in STS or AA hulls and with Cheddite or WW primers is one I used for MANY years, broke several 16 yard 100s with it, and would still return to it without hesitation. At the time of my next powder purchase, 700X will be in the running depending on cost...breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Personally, I would prefer the 'cleaner' burning powders if using a gas operated autoloader, otherwise the less expensive the better. I tried e3 but disappointed by its high cost.

Currently, I like Clays because it is a bit cleaner for my son's 1100, works great with 1oz loads, works great for target pistol loads, and is a bit cheaper than e3.

Mike

8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

A big thank you to all that replied!!!

9. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

If you want economical and performance, try REX I for one ounce loads. 17 gr. behind a one ounce wad and one ounce shot. This load chrono's in my 34" barrel at 1225 fps. The powder costs about 9.50 per lb if bought in quantity. BRGII

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Like BRG, I have settled on a cheaper powder - Promo ($9/lb). I see no difference at the 16 yard line.

Don

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- The cost of e3, per 8 pound container is a little high but because each shell requires less powder, the cost of e3 per shell comes out less than many other powders.

Pat Ireland

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I switched from 700X to E3 last year and really like it.

I had shot 700X for over 25 years with good results, especially in Federal paper hulls. Due to the cost of Federal papers, I switched to STS hulls and I wanted to try Alliant E3 based on favorable comments from other shooters.

The Alliant recipe I use is an STS hull, 1 oz of 8’s, Remington 209P primer and TGT12S wad and 16.9 grains of E3 for 1200 fps. I had been using 16.5 grains for 1150 fps but I now like the 1200 fps speed in 1 oz as the recoil is still light.

Every shot feels just the same on my shoulder. Works well all the way back to the 27 yard line.

Ed Ward

13. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Well Don Q :

I still have a little bit of Red Dot left and I know that promo is the same but won't convince me though.

Any way I bought a lot of powder from an estate and got a s**t load of I think Nitro 100 and select and don't know what else I thouhgt I had some E'3 also but might had sold it if so then guess it was a mistake.

ok I got all of this powder for 5 bucks or less a pound so figured it was worth it but I sold around 50 pounds of it for 8 dollars a pound of course it was stuff like 296 winchester and 540, 571, and other powder's that would cost that much for half that amount.

So when ever I decide to shoot this year I might have to start to reload again but I still have over a half ton of shot at 10.75 a bag plus all of the wad's for a lot more and primer's and a lot of powder.

But I think I want to load the Nitro 100 the next time

Fog

14. ink ball

ink ball Member

I've been using 700x for many years. I think it is a great powder, and it is economical to use. Under $12/lb in 8 lb containers, and only using 16.5 grains for 1 oz loads is pretty thrifty. Also, it patterns really good in every gun I've ever owned. It meters well, the pressure is good (not too high, not too low) and you can load it for 7/8 oz, 1 oz and 1 1/8 loads.

15. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

deck art,im paying $89+tax for a 8lb jug of red dot in no.in,after seeing these post,i may have to look into the cost/test run of e3,if it works it would save 2 grains per shell,X 14,000 shells per year,that would be 4 lbs per year less powder.what is cost of 8 lb jug of e3?do they sell it in 8 pounders?thanks,mark

p.s. but then again i dont know if i could kick my friend red dot to the curb that easy....

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've used 700-X for about 40 years. Used Red Dot and a host of others as well. It's a good powder. I use a lot of Promo these days for the lower cost. The last several 12 pound cans of 700-X cost me about $125 each. When they are gone, I might not buy more, since the price has gone up a bit compared to others. I use what I know works.

17. VNVET

VNVET Member

BDodd........How about a little more info on your testing using International Clays powder. Your comment "worst record" for this powder got my interest since that's the powder I use for 1 1/8 oz loads. While I don't have a chronograph, I use it because it's clean burning and patterns well using DRA-12 white wads in HS hulls. On the other hand, my scores aren't all that good........can it be my load? thanks

VNVET

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Deckart I would say that my scores have gone up a little, probably because of the reduced recoil more so than any other reason. I use a fixed choke 1100. I am completely confident with the load. I managed to get a 198/200 at state shoot last year and 50/50 in the shoot off. It lets me think about the things I should rather than recoil. I am 6'2" and 285 pounds so I am kind of a recoil weiner anymore for some reason.

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Foggy, that $10.95 shot is surely outdated. You can send it to me for proper disposal. I will do it free of charge!

20. primer

primer TS Member

I use 700X in my 12,16,20,and 28ga. It is the best powder on the market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.