1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I call a Lawyer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Well, its actually not me its one of my shooting buds.. He bought a new 2008 dodge gas burner pickup with a auto trans. at 20k miles it started shifting real hard between 40 and 50 mph..when it was going into overdrive I guess.. he takes it back to the dealer..they run the test nothing shows up they tell him to just drive it.. same thing at 25k miles.. takes it back nothing shows on the computer they tell him to just drive it, goes back again at 28k still shifting real hard something is wrong he takes it back they find nothing tell him to just drive it, 33k miles he goes back in... yep you are going to have to have a new transmission.. I think it was $3700.00.. but this time its 3k miles out of warranty.. the dealer wont do shit, he called chrysler and they wont do shit.. I figure he's up shit creek but would like to hear your thoughts.. thanks!

2. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Call Obama he's the CEO.

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

up shit creek.....your bud should had aggresively told them tokeep the truck in the shop until the problem was fixed.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Tell him that I hope his Evinrude will start. And if it wont to be sure to bring a paddle.

I believe he is screwed !

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I thought late-model Chrysler products had a lifetime powertrain warranty?

At any rate, he is NOT out of luck. Each time he took it in, the dealer should have initiated a repair order that shows the complaint, any diagnostic work performed and that the condition could not be duplicated and therefore was not corrected. That is legal evidence that the condition existed during the warranty period and puts responsibility for the repair squarely in Chrysler's lap. I've been on both sides of that situation and the repair orders will tell the tale.

Ed

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I.ll bet the dealer doesnt have a copy of any service order.

7. AveragEd

But the vehicle owner should.

And the dealer has one, too. If a technician is injured while working on a vehicle and there is no repair order on that vehicle, workman's comp insurance will not cover the injury. No dealer with an ounce of common sense is going to allow his service manager to expose him to that kind of liability. I even made my techs open repair orders on their own vehicles when they worked on them after hours.

Ed

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Good luck trying to bring legal action against the government and a bankrupt company. I would guess the most your buddy would get out of this would be a stiff lawyer fee.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you have to ask... what do you think?!

But come on now... is your friend really that lax, that he let them walk all over him... I've had car issues and the dealerships are thrilled to get warranty work... cha ching!

Something a bit "fishy" on this cast...

Jay

10. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

A lawyer may just cost you money with no gain,best to try to persue the dealer with your records of each visit or try to get a well known,good tranny man to fix it at probably half the $3700.00.Good luck.

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Nothing fishy here.. I mean what do you do if they tell you they cant find anything wrong.. just let it sit there till the tires dry rot?? They could care less if you drove it or not.. When he called Chrysler they do show each of his visits in their system. thanks!

12. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

try the attorney general's office in your state they should have some type of consumer fraud division went thru that with a intl scout once only mine was a rust problem started in sept. finished the following feb. but they fixed the problem...dk

13. fortwtlkqa

fortwtlkqa Member

Did your friend buy the truck new? If so he gets the 3year/36,000mile basic warranty(comprehensive) and a lifetime powertrain. Granted with the Powertrain he has to have all the docmentation on maintanence etc...
    If he bought it used it will depend on the inservice date whether it's still under warranty.
    That being said, ED is 100% correct. He should have receipts and the dealership should have all the records of him taking it to them. Dodge should have a 800 number to call. If you can prove that he had multiple attempts to get it fixed he should be able to get them to fix it under warranty.

Curt Kinsey

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

He bought a truck from a company that was **clearly** going down the tubes the year it was built. (For the 3rd time in the case of Chrysler.) What exactly did he expect?

I bet he got a helluva discount on it, though, right?

EE

15. AveragEd

I was just in a pair of shoes much like your buddy's. My wife and I bought her a 2003 Saturn Vue in June of 2008. It was out of factory warranty and two months ago, the transaxle went south as those VTi units were known to do. I called Saturn and long story short, they didn't care that I had recently retired from 38 years in GM service management, the vehicle was out of warranty and the best I could do on a known product problem was 50% goodwill assistance. Repairing those transaxles right is almost a $4,000 proposition, so I told the nice young lady, "Thanks but no thanks."

I slid under the vehicle see how ugly the transaxle would be to remove and noticed for the first time a GM SRTA (Service Replacement Transaxle Assembly) tag on the unit. I called the former owner and learned that he had the unit replaced under his extended warranty 20,000 miles and 20 months earlier. I obtained a copy of the invoice from his warranty company and took the vehicle to a Saturn dealer. They repaired it, including installing updated parts that will extend its life considerably, at no cost to me because a SRTA carries a 36-month/50,000 GM warranty. Their warranty claim was for $3,700 and without that piece of paper, that would have been my responsibility.

If any of you own a Vue with a VTi transaxle that fails, do not allow a shop to replace it. Reman units, even GM's, do not contain updated parts and a second failure (like mine) is unavoidable.

Ed

16. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I would make a large sign and mount it in the back of the PU telling the world not to buy Chrysler products and the reasons why and especially not from that dealer. Park in front of the dealership on a regular basis in your spare time or if it's legal to park in front, leave the truck for awhile. The dealer and Chrysler may treat you differently. If not, it will still give you a warm fuzzy feeling. Larry

17. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

call AAMCO AA beep beep MCO

18. KenC

KenC Member

Follow Ed's advice; he knows.

19. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

We had a problem with my wife's PT Cruiser. The transmission started to slip and it was whinning really loud.

I researched the problem on the internet and determined from a blog that it was in need of a filter change and new tranny fluid. It only took 20 minutes of research to find someone that had a similar problem and suggested fix.

It fixed the problem and saved us from many thousands of dollars in costly repairs.

I would research the problem on the internet through various blogs. It may be something fairly simple to fix.

Or, you could get a Lawyer and start the battle.

Jeff

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Don't know what state your in but he may have a case under the current Lemon Laws, if he has documented that he took the vehicle in and asked that it be repaired and it wasn't he shouldn't have any problem getting results and satisfaction from Chrysler Corp. As for the lawyer should'nt be any need

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.