1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I buy the guns?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bobcatv, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

An Aunt of my cousin's wife has a safe full of guns and would like to "just get rid of them". I told her I was interested and would like to take a look at them. I asked her about them and she said her husband was an avid shooter (Trap, Rifle, Pistol) and hunter. He passed away and she just wants to get rid of them. She said "How about $50.00 each?".

Should I feel bad taking them off her hands at 50.00/each? Or, should I offer more for the higher grade guns?

Thanks, Jeff

2. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Let your concience be your guide. What would you want done to/for your widow?....merlyn

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Do the right thing and you know what the right thing is or you wouldn't be asking if you should just give her what she is asking.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Guns are made of steel Tron but I agree with you that to steal them is not right - especially from a family member.

Don (aka Rat Face)

5. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Take the guns to a dealer see what he would give for them ! Then you do the same thing . Then cut the grass and shovel the snow for the rest of your life . See if she would want some work done in exchange for the guns . But still get them appraised by dealer .

KelleyPLK@aol.com

6. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

If you have to ask whether $50 is a fair price, you already know it isn't.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Awful light tackle to catch Tron with, LOL. Jeff

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Do ya think she would take $45 each if you took them all?

9. oz

oz Active Member

find out what a dealer would pay. get a final price, give it to the woman and ask what she would like from you. if you don't hurry she may see a (gov't) gun buy back and give them up for a pizza. oz

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Okay, Bob, I wouldn't do this for everybody, but I see you and your conscience is in a bind.

So.........I'll tell you what I'll do.

I'll give you say........$60.00 a gun, and that way, your widowed aunt should be very happy, and you should be happy too, as you don't have to worry about your conscience bothering you.

How's that for a deal???

Just kidding, let her know that some of those guns may be worth more than the $50.00 she wants for them, and tell her you'll get them appraised and even try to sell them at a fair market value if you cannot afford what they are worth.

That is what you should do.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How about if you offer the widow your services to sell the collection at fair value in exchange for you keeping one or two of the guns that you really like. This way you are not unfairly taking advantage of a person that is going through an emotionally difficult period and you will end up with a nice firearm or two. $50 per gun is not right and you will regret it if you do this.

If the widow needs the collection moved out right away go ahead and do this for her, give her the $50 per gun now and then send her the balance of the fair value as the collection is sold off.

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Like others have said, do the honorable and honest thing and do the homework for her...get a blue book and do some research and offer to either buy the ones you want for a "fair" amount (about what a dealer would give, maybe a little more) or offer to sell them for her. If she still insists that she doesn't want the pain of dealing with them - (she may resent guns and her late husband's interest in them) - then buy them for what she wants then be prepared to go back later and share the profit with her if you sell any of them for more than $50. Best Regards, Ed

13. spritc

spritc Active Member

I was recently faced with a similar decision, except all guns (60) were offered at 50% of average retail. I picked the ones I was interested in (3) offered and paid 90% Blue Book retail for each. This was about twice what she was asking. One of the guns is in 85% condition, one at 90% and the last at 95%. I offered to take some to our club if she would price them and the rest will eventually go to Indiana Gun Club on consignment. The decision is yours, it's nice to get a deal, but I like to be able to sleep at night. By the way, I didn't know this lady.

Steve

14. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I am with TomK2. She is the one giving the guns away. She may just want the guns to stay in the family and/or go to some one who would appreciate them.

Take all the guns for $50 each; find out if it is ok sell what you don't want to keep. If you are way ahead $ wise with what you keep, give her all the proceeds of the sales.

Jason

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, if I didn't know the lady...I'd probably just buy them and count my blessings. But I'd have trouble sleeping at night.

But family? you gotta do right by family. Unless its my rotten cousins on my mom's side...then I'd tell them that the guns are only worth $25.

Tron's right...get yourself a good deal, but be reasonably fair.

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jeff: I agree with most of what the respondents say. Keep the ones you are interested in, (at a fair price for her and you), and then offer to sell the rest for her and give her the money. I don't know if this is a true story or not; when I lived in Florida a fellow shooter answered an ad in the local paper. It read that a gun cabinet was for sale for $125. He went to the residence and looked at the cabinet. It was a cheap particle board cabinet. He told the woman that the price seemed quite high. She said, "I really don't think so, as I feel the guns would be worth that"!! He said the cabinet had 6 guns in it. I am sure this individual, (if this did happen), was the type of person that would have taken advantage of this. (He was the type that would take advantage of anyone). Bottom line, if you do not act, someone like this is bound to come along and take advantage of her. Ed

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would tell her they are worth more. And that I was not interested in them all, but would take all of them If the price was good.

Put me in for 75 dollars each.

HM

18. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

If you don't jump on it, sombody else sure as hell will.

At least tell her you are going to give her 60% of the fair market value of what you want. That's about what she would get from any HONEST dealer or an auction hall.

Take the guns, safe, and anything else she doesn't want, then do your assessments and get back to her with a check for what you want to keep.

Take the rest, in her name, to an auction hall.

19. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

At least their are only two scum sucking leaches that would take the deal so far. People should be ashamed of themselves.

Take the guns to a dealer and see what he would pay. The guns you like, pay her what the dealer offered then sell the rest to the dealer or float them around your local gun clubs for 20% higher than what the dealer offered.

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Tell her not to do anything, Buy a recent gun values book and sit down with her. Go thru them. give her a fair value for the select guns you want. Then off the rest to favorite local dealer. There maybe issues of gun registry with some of these guns. Also maybe listed as assets. I think a good deal would be Market value less 20%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.