Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should I buy shotmaker?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Pat Ireland 
#1 ·
Yes, buy one. You will not be sorry, my shotmaker is one of the best investments I have ever made, just be sure that you know what you are getting into, do lots of research and, of course, use common sense and only make shot in a well ventilated area. Shotmaking is a lot of work, but is well worth it and is a fun hobby. Go with the Jim Stewart ("Better") shotmaker, It is better than the littleton and Jim is a great guy to work with and unlike, littleton, stands behind his product. If you do a thread search, you should be able to find his webpage.

#3 ·
The Better shot maker runs about 400.00 or so. At today's prices of 50+ a bag. you have a potential of 2800.00$ of shot in those 1400lbs of ingots. I myself was throwing around the idea. I opted out, just do not have the time to melt down and make ingots, make shot sort etc etc. My lead sources are already showing signs of depleting. I still get the majority of my lead for free. I have decided to take up Bills LEAD FOR SHOT deal. That works for me. 200lbs of shot made pays for the shotmaker. I do not reload to save money, I do it because I like it. Same with shot making. If you got a few hours to burn every week in your off season, a good cheap lead supply, and all the stuff. Go for it. I have everything except the shot maker and time.

#5 ·
I have a Stewart Shot maker -- Jim is great to deal with -- will answer all questions and you will have them -- making shot is not a plug and play process -- it takes learning like anything does -- you will have more then $400 into it by the time you get totally set-up -- there are several things you have to have to make the shot through to the final ready to shoot product -- you have to stay right with it while you are making it -- you can't walk away and do something else -- when you add up all the steps involved in the process you will have at least 2 hours into every 25 lbs. made -- I am finding (because of the price of Lead) it very difficult to come up with Lead -- everybody that deals with it is aware of the current price -- Scrap dealer are asking 70/75 cents a pound -- tire dealers are hanging on to it thinking they are going to make a killing on their wheel weights -- I am not trying to spread sour Grapes -- just trying to give a little low down from someone that has experience doing it -- if you are going to make the shot for your own use -- the 1400 of Lead will last you a while -- but if your making it to sell -- the lead will be gone and you may have a hard time finding Lead unless you don't mind paying the high price for it

#6 ·
My local gun club owner (John Hert, Triple H) told me his supplier talked to Lawrence Brand Shot and they believe that shot will drop to $25.00 this comming summer.

Metalico owns Lawrence Brand Shot and West Coast Shot. I hope this comes true. I would rather load my own shells as I do enjoy reloading.

Making shot sounds like work!

Jim Skeel

#7 ·
While I don't have any experience with the better shotmaker, I have used an older Littleton for years. Looks to me like the only real difference between the two is that the Littleton is aluminum and the other one is cast iron. I bought my Littleton used and it has paid for itself many times over. It produces very nice shot with little trouble once I learned some of the do's and don'ts. I think either brand would produce good shot since they are basically the same design. And it is fun to shoot a good score with the homemade stuff.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.