Trapshooters Forum banner

Should I buy powder?

6K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  oscar valley city 
#1 ·
I'll be near my regional supplier in a few weeks. He has great prices. I usually an near him twice a year, late winter and fall. I generally stop in and stock up when I am near. That saves me time and a tank of gas.

I just did a reloading supply inventory. I probably have a enough powder to last another year, and certainly have enough to last until my fall trip.

But if he has powders I can use should I buy now? I hate to add to the panic buying and hording that is plaguing us, but I would rather an extra keg of each on my powder shelf than it sitting in a hoarder's stash when I need it. But we are all thinking that way and contributing to the problem.

#2 ·
The best advice my grandfather ever gave me was "buy what you know you will need when you have the money and it is available".

If you have qualms about adding to the problem, assuage it by helping out a new shooter who can't afford to buy ahead.

Michel

#4 ·
I wouldn't exactly call 1 extra keg of powder\sleeve of primers\case of wads\etc. hoarding, it's the ones that buy all they can find and then try to resell it at exorbitant prices. Or just buy all they can for themselves when they already have more than a reasonable amount. Ross Puls

#30 ·
An acquaintance of mine bought up the entire store supply of remington buckets of .22lr, back when other .22lr were in scarce supply.
His guns sit unfired, one of his two guns is even broken, but he's got several bucket's of (crummy) ammo
First class DB

#5 ·
The short answer is buy it. No way to know if it will be available when you need it. One keg as a backup isn't exactly hoarding, as long as it's something you will use within a reasonable time frame. For many years, I'd buy four kegs, just to get the same lot number when buying Promo. I'm into my backup keg of Clays. I may have enough to make it until they get it back in production. If not, there are other powders I can use. The real problem comes when someone buys another batch of backup kegs a few months later, even though they haven't used any, then buys more at every opportunity.

I've also been known to help out a fellow shooter when they run dry. If I have extra, I have no problem sharing. Just that having extra these days isn't easy.

#8 ·
I've used both ClayDot and Promo and like them both. I figured I buy whichever was available.

Interesting development though. A friend was in that shop over the weekend. He said they had no ClayDot nor Promo, but they did have Titewad. He didn't know what other powder they had since he just bought the Titewad and was happy.

The dilemma for me is that if the supply situation is the same when I get there, should I buy Titewad just to have a back-up supply on the shelf?

Sorry if I am belaboring this, but I want some idea what Plan C should be. I don't want a brain freeze while I'm at the counter.

Chichay - I can afford to buy an extra bottle of powder.

#16 ·
Zoomy,

You are a hard guy to figure out.....

You have been bad-mouthing reloading for as long as I've been on this site, and then you come up with a question as to whether you should buy powder.

Are you coming over to the "dark side" and reloading with the rest of us, or are you just fishing again?

I will put my two cents in and say that one can never have enough powder! :biggrin2:

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

#22 · (Edited)
No, not buying any powder. I'll be near the supplier this spring, but I won't buy powder.

Trying to decide if I should peddle my 7/8 ounce 20 gauge wads and buy a couple of bags of 3/4 ounce 20 gauge wads, or just use the 7/8 ounce wads and add some Puffed Rice when I load 3/4 ounce. I might need one more bag of #9s to have enough to use up my left-over 12&20 gauge powder and wads, and to have some primers and shot left for some 28 gauge and 410 reloads.

But other than the 3/4 ounce 20 gauge wads I have enough supplies to last until the next time I am near the supplier. I'll probably just use the Puffed Rice and wait until the next trip to buy. Then I'll be able to better figure what I need to finish up. Heck, by then the 'reload or buy new equation?' may flop and I'll start reloading again. But only to save money. Reloading is not my idea of fun.

#23 ·
But if he has powders I can use should I buy now?
No, not buying any powder.
YOU'RE the one who is the OP that started this thread titled, and I quote, "Should I buy Powder?'

Then later, in the same thread, you state above, and I quote again, "No, not buying any powder."

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!

Zoomy, you really are a piece of work.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.