1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I buy an AR ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shadow, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow Active Member

Never have fired an AR and am a lefty. Will those things throw hot brass down my shirt collar ? Are they accurate as a rule ?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They(I know Stag Arms does) make left handed AR's and yes can be very accurate. With good ammo and a rest mine easily shoots sub MOA groups. Should you buy one? That's your call but if the idiot in chief gets re-elected you won't have a choice.

3. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

The short answer is no, it won't throw hot brass back in your face or down your shirt. All the newer AR-15's (ie. A2 models) have a "bump" built in to the upper receiver that deflects brass away from the shooter. I'm a southpaw shooter and I've put thousands of rounds downrange with a variety of AR's and never had an issue with brass coming back at me. The only caveat to this is the older A1 models or any current AR-15 that's built on an A1 upper (sometimes referred to as "retro"), these don't have the built in brass deflector and will most definitely fling brass back into the face of left handed shooters, an aftermarket deflector that sells for under $30 and clamps on to the carry handle will cure the problem though.

4. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

They also make a brass deflector for lefties I have several ars and enjoy them If you can find someone that has one Im sure they would let you shoot one

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Thanks guys. My intention is to buy an inexpensive one for the occasional varmit and home defense. Also will pass it down to one of my sons one of these days along with my other firearms. Only one of my boys is a lefty and he has no interest in guns at all.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Plenty of lefties in the service using A2 pattern uppers. Even most of the current A1 uppers have the bump (technically they are Canadian C1 pattern).

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Good questions! Re: buying one, I recently bought a S&W 15 AR and am having moderate buyer's remorse. Spent $1100 on the rifle. I could use these $$ for trapshooting...but my buddies who have ARs persuaded me that ARs: 1) won't be any cheaper (prices sure to go up and you can always sell one); 2) are fun to shoot and have "possible" varmint and protection advantages; 3) use ammo which is fairly cheap; and some other reasons I can't remember. The downsides are you probably will have to buy a red-dot or scope & mount to get any kind of distance accuracy (I spent another $180 for scope and mount) and cleaning supplies and/or reloading dies add to the expense. Since I usually shoot shotgun sports, my "investment" in an AR has me questioning my aging and frequently faulty judgment. Best Regards, Ed

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ed, long after you have shot up $1,200 in targets and shells, that AR will still be in the safe and worth $$.

Really now...what was the better investment. (stored tangible wealth, got to love it.}

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Shannon391, You are right!...and I keep forgetting this - faulty/old age. A friend told me he has no regrets moving money out of his 401(k) into his 401(g) account...the (g) stands for his guns. Thanks for the message. Best Regards, Ed

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I think DPMS makes or made a Southpaw model.

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I'm a lefty and shoot this Colt HBAR, no problem, fun to shoot, great accuracy with quality ammo. Just a sense of security knowing it's sitting in my safe along with about 1K rounds of ammo. Buy it, it's like your first 22 when you were a kid.

[​IMG]

12. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Make the purchase a learning tool. Shop around, buy a mil-spec lower then go to Model 1 sales or similar and buy the upper kit - you can make it just about anything you want and you get to put it all together yourself. Here's what I put together. Shoots great, low cost.

$95 for the lower
    $510 for the upper kit
    $85 for the optics

[​IMG]

13. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Buy one. I have one with an extra accurized upper. One for SHTF and one for chucks. Also have a AR10. Bigger badder and will penetrate walls cars and a host of other cover.

Don't forget also to buy yourself a good quality short barreled pump also. Then your covered for indoor and outdoor threats ... oh I mean target shooting. Pistols are ok for indoor defensive work but if a guys brings a pistol you bring a shotgun and if a guy brings a shotgun you bring a rifle.

What ever you buy learn to shoot it and shoot it well.

14. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

What do you want one for.... fun, defense, competition..etc.?

I have three different ARs and an extra upper...all are used for plinking and 3-Gun competition. All would make great defensive weapons.

But... I reload and can afford to shoot centerfire like this. You may not be able to ...so consider your need and the cost of shooting.

I am a lefty and have no problem with shooting these right-handed weapons, although I've added 'ambi' controls to all... especially the safety and mag release.

Mark T.

15. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

Rock River now makes three left handed models. Excellent rifles.

5standdan_2011_251063.jpg

16. oz

oz Active Member

go to ar15.com for lots of info. buy your ar15, you'll like it and you may need it.

17. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Can you get one with a release trigger?

18. oz

oz Active Member

no but you can get one with dual thumb triggers.

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have a AR15 and a AR10. Both very nice guns.

20. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Every conservative, Constitution loving household should have at least one.

photobucket-2132-1329068426768.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.