Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should I buy a SKB??

5K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  xringjim 
#1 ·
I have pondered this for some time, I have read almost every post on the net about them, I'm looking at a unsingle, some guys say their built like a tank others say they are junk.. Now that they have gone under I have been looking at a Berettas and also a BT99s..,but I just like the looks of the racegun unsingle..

#5 ·
The Gl7 is an excellent gun and should last many lifetimes. Great handling and a modest price. Would not hesitate to purchase an SKB if the gun fit and fit my needs. If you buy a shotgun thinking you are going to make money when you sell it I might suggest purchasing a classic SXS English Best or a well preserved Fox or Purdey but since this is a trap shooting web site I guess you are looking for a shooter. John

#6 ·
My three work just fine and I would recommend an SKB to anyone.
SKB's are truly a great gun for the money. You will find brand snobs on the street and on the internet. They won't easily admit it, but their $8000+ guns break just like any machine that has moving parts. To me, no shotgun is worth $10,000. Whatever gun you buy, make sure that it fits you well. Nothing is more important than gun fit. Neil Swenson

#8 ·
I'm not to sure if your trolling or not but I will give you an answer.

If you buy a SKB you will not have a warrenty. Your on your own. A friend has one and he can't shoot anyones reloads. He can only shoot factory ammo. He has sent it back to the factory 3 times and they say they can't do anything. Go look at something that is still being made and won't leave you in the dust.

#12 ·
Buy that SKB that Auctioneer 's friend says doesn't fire reloads. You'll get it for a song. Next, reload some shells. Then get out to the range and find out that it shoots reloads just fine. My opinion? By all means get a new SKB. They're great guns and you'll be glad you did. I'm getting so good with mine in just the last couple months that I can shoot 250 shells and remember every bird I missed as I drive home from the range that day. Jim

#13 ·
I would think that any new SKB would still have a normal warranty period. I would definitely call SKB of Omaha and ask them before you make a decision. Alot of people in the Omaha area shoot SKB's, as Guns Unlimited was the distributer for many years. Everyone that I have personally met likes their SKB shotgun. Neil Swenson

#15 ·
Setterman, I'll bet some real deals will be coming along on these guns. While I don't think much of them as a day to day trap gun--they are really well built--save for the triggers.

I have a lovely 28" full/full .410 Model 500 I've had since the very first imports in 1978 which I shoot lights out. Wouldn't part with it for ANY amount of money. Have never had ANY problem with it and it throws the very best patterns I have ever seen from a .410.

Keep an eye out guys Phil Simms

#16 ·
I'm with Walnut. The Skb cannot be compared favorably with the top brand mass production guns - Perazzi, K-guns, etc. The Skb is a nice little package but I wouldn't buy one for the long term without a good company's promise to back them up. As a hunting gun, maybe.

It's not like buying a Pontiac. Pontiac's done but GM is still providing warranty and service for them. Nobody's gonna back the SKBs unless someone contracts to do it with you. I know that they will always have someone who will fix them but it'll be on your $.

Too many other good choices out there. Good luck.

#20 ·
Oh I'm cool Barry...your right about SKB not having the tournament proven results of the Perazzi...I feel they are every bit as good..especially for the money...Its just a shame that at this moment in time when the SKB guns with this last revision are poised to show they can finally be that long distance racehorse built to take lifetimes of punishment, that the factory shutdown has to taint the stew. If they can get a top teir manufacturing facility going in the US..along with keeping the excellent service they are already known for and the product keep climbing in quality, then they will be back in short order...One thing I think they should do is eliminate the inertia triggers altogether..they have an awesome mechanical setup that is stone reliable and as light and crisp as a target rifles....then put a gun like that in the hands of Leo or Phil...the rest will be history

#21 ·
What Calvin said and Perazzi's need to be rebuilt more than any other gun I know of and I am guessing that none of those rebuilds were covered under warranty.2 years ago I bought a new in the box model 12 Trap with no warranty and never gave it a second thought.As far as perazzi's being the tournament king I just saw on the long run thread that Daro Handy hold the handicap record at 505 straight and he shoots a lowly remington 1100.Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.