1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should/Do Release Triggers Have A Safety?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I saw from the answers in my last thread that to clear a release trigger gun after the trigger is pulled the shooter must open the action while holding the trigger.

Does it make sense that release trigger guns should have a button that locks the trigger in the set position so that the action can be safely opened?

One problem is that the the trigger could be pulled, the safety could be put on, and then you would have a cocked gun waiting to go off. But this is exactly the status of a 1911.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Me thinks you thinks to much ?

As it is now most release triggers are very simple you pull (set) you let go you shoot . I have never needed a safety or thought one would be a good idea .

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I have two answers for that. No, and hell no.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jon gave the only answers to your questions.

I concur!

Hauxfan!

5. Bushmaster1313

How is left hand shooter supposed to clear action of a Model 12 with a set trigger?

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

A similar thread was posted a couple of days ago. I responded to this thread. I noted that last summer I shot with a fellow who admitted he routinely "clears" his release trigger by allowing it to fire downrange. (He had a number of broken targets and finally just "let it go"). Now, this may not be the best method. However, it is true that the type of gun, the physical disabilities of the shooter, etc. does play a part in successfully clearing a release trigger once it is set. In reality, if it is safer for an individual to allow the gun to discharge downrange, I see little problem with it. JMHO. Ed

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bushmaster... I am left handed. I shoot a release trigger. I also shoot a model 12, on occasion, with a release trigger. I set the trigger when I'm ready to shoot. If I need to disarm the trigger, I reach over, with my right hand, while still holding the trigger back with my left hand, and depress the slide release button, hold the gun pointing up, and let the forend slide open a bit. I then let go of the trigger. This will automatically disarm the trigger. Then, I simply shuck the gun, put the shell back in and start over. Not a big deal. A safety on a release trigger makes as much sense as a safety on a pull trigger when it comes to trap guns. Not necessary, nor required. If you are that concerned, do not, and I repeat, do not go to a release trigger. If you have these thoughts while shooting a release, I would hate to be shooting next to you because you would obviously not have the trigger mastered and, therefore, be a danger to me and everyone else on the squad. In short, fish or cut bait. Either go to a release and learn it, or stay with a pull.... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I do not believe that any trap gun needs a safety of any sort, I have seen shooters disarm release triggers many times and have never given it a thought that they need a safety on them to do so safely ... I do not shoot a release trigger but own two of them just in case I have to borrow someone a gun someday if theirs would break down ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The biggest safety factor with any GUN is the person holding it!!

Safety's are made of metal, any metal can and will eventually fail! Never put your total trust in the fact the safety works because some do not work as intended. Only a fool believes in and relies on a safety to prevent reckless gun handling regardless of how it's designed to operate!!

Hap

10. Bushmaster1313

Not planning on using a release trigger.

But I now understand why people with fancy expensive guns have ugly stickers telling them they are release triggers.

INMHO a release trigger gun without such a sticker should be banned from any club I would want to attend.

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have several guns with release triggers. The only gun that has a sticker on it is my Model 50. The reason for that is that when Phil Crenwelge converted the trigger he opted to place the sticker on the gun. I do not believe in leaving my guns unattended on a gun rack. When the gun is not under my control, it is in my vehicle or in my shooting cart. Again, as Hap has stated; gun safety is up to the individual controlling the gun. Keeping that gun pointed downrange is imperative; no matter if it is a pull or a release trigger. Ed

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"But I now understand why people with fancy expensive guns have ugly stickers telling them they are release triggers."

Bush, the guys putting that ugly sticker on their gun is to protect everyone picking up others guns possibly thinking it's their gun! Other than mistaken identity of like guns, if it isn't yours, leave it alone! Only the person owning the gun knows how it works. Maybe I'll put a flag in both my trigger type barrels saying, "This one is mine, keep yer samich clamps off"? Reckon that would help, for the sake of safety?

Hap

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I think pull trigger guns should have a sticker. I mean if it's sitting there in the gun rack loaded and some one picks it up, all they have to do is pull the trigger and it will go off. LOL

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bush, are you related to Joe Kuhn by any chance?

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Bushmaster I,m having a real hard time understanding just what you would like done . First you think a gun with a release trigger should have a safety even though you know very little about a release . Now you think every gun with a release should have a sticker ?? I guess the question is why ?

I shoot a release no one shoots my gun no one is going to pick up my gun by mistake . I know I have a release trigger I,m not going to forget ?

If anything I really think you should have a sticker on you .

16. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

All I know about release triggers is that I don't want one.

BUT.....Do you suppose it would be possible to design a release trigger that could be returned to it's previous condition by simply pulling harder on it (the trigger)? If you could, that would be the best bet, ie if there was any kind of delay you could just pull it farther back and that action would return the hammer or striker to it's normal place. I donno, sounds like a good question for timney or one of those guys.

As to the safety, the difference is that if you take the safety off a 1911, it does not immediately fire.

17. Shooter100

Shooter100 TS Member

I think there should be a sticker on the head of the people that pick up other peoples guns and pull the trigger. We need to know who these people are that are pulling triggers when the gun is not pointed down range. Do they leave there guns loaded ???? Is that why they are worried. Just how many of us release trigger shooters don't know how to clear the gun ??

Harry

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe every safety should have a release trigger.

Pat Ireland

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

You guys are too easy. This guy came from a skeet forum because he heard we fell for any old chum...

20. nipper

nipper TS Member

thinks release trigger are a marketing ploy.--set--pull/yaka/yep/yes/woo hoo--release--bang-- of course if you really want one, money is no object

bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.