1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Carroll High School award letters for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Should Carroll High School award letters for trap shooting?

- Daily Times Herald -

Carroll Community School District Board members Monday night said a proposal from local trap-shooting enthusiasts clearly runs afoul of the district’s zero-tolerance policy on guns.

Advocates of trap shooting were looking to get recognition of the sport for varsity letters at Carroll High School. School officials applauded efforts of volunteers working with kids without any sanctioning or funding from the school district.

But Superintendent Rob Cordes said modern school policies on guns on campuses would create a dilemma: the school could be faced with the possibility that it would award a varsity letter to a student who it then has to expel for possession of a gun. The board agreed and voted unanimously against a proposal to award letters for trap shooting.

The counter argument is that rural Iowa is a gun culture and that recognition of trap shooting through a varsity latter would affect so-called "gap" students who may not otherwise participate in school sports.

What do you think? Did the school board do the right thing? Submit your comments below.

http://www.carrollspaper.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=9310

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Jesus Joe. What the hell has happened to Iowa. They vote pink and the color seems to run completely through now-a-days. Absolutely absurd.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Cowboy's right. They're better off not being jocks. Give me gun kids anytime. The greatest percentage of the new kids are polite and much more mature than many of their peers.

The Coaches of the SCTP and AIM programs and the parents of the participants should be proud of those young women and men. Keep them coming! Merry Christmas All!

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Funny thing here in Iowa.

I've been going and helping out at the Iowa High School Trap Shoots since they were started.

Some kids ride on the school buses provided by their districts, while others have to come by private car because they get no backing or recognition from their school districts.

Some schools do award letters for trap, although I don't have a list of them that do, I know some do.

I think they should be awarded letters for trapshooting, but then, I'm probably just a little prejudiced when it comes to our sport.

Hauxfan!

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok I don't know what the right answer is since when I was in high school we never would had thought of trap shooting being offered in the school as a credit.

Ok we just got foot ball about the time I graduated but my school was gun friendly and we could take our guns to school as long as they was in the car.

I guess I need to be up dated on the new school's today I sure wished I could had done something like trap shooting in high school I bet I would had been a better shot now days for sure.

Ok even though the school's of now days might have more things to study and get credit from but I wouldn't trade my past school days for the present at all.

Ok im old school but agree with Cowboy1 and barry also I have seen all of the trap shooting kids are polite and act mature I guess these few eleite kids respect's the coaches just as the coaches respected their parents im sure back then.

Ok I don't have a problem for a high school to give a scholarship for trapshooting because what is the difference from basket ball and foot ball.

At least the trap shooting kids has more respect for the elder's than the other sport's kids in my opinion!!

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

we have the opportunity to shoot in the neb hischool trap conferance- as far as i know , neb ranks very hi in participnats. most schools lend their name but thats as far as it goes! hickman ne ( just south of lincoln) with its very modern school grounds, even has 2 trapranges on their property. i never hear of those kids "lettering".-- the nw mo. ffa chapters meet each month for a trapshoot in smithville(KCTA), the parking lot is full of bus's and school minivans.but thats as far as the school thing goes for participation!!

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Barry C. Roach

"The Cowboy's right. They're better off not being jocks. Give me gun kids anytime. The greatest percentage of the new kids are polite and much more mature than many of their peers."

Barry I know that I am looked on as a trouble maker here more than anything else. Never the less I disagree with your stance on this matter. Every student that attends this school worked just as hard as the Football,Baseball,Basketball and any other sport in that school district. In most cases harder as they receive no support from the School District.

The educators are the one with the need for a zero tolerance. Zero tolerance for political correctness the students that shoot Trap are only asking for the recognition they deserve. They aren't asking for permission to store their guns in their lockers. The recognition is for their effort and dedication to the sport.

It doesn't surprise me that there are problems with guns in the schools as the zero tolerance for guns makes the students feel that legally exercising one of their constitutional rights gets them treated like criminals. It should be done away with no matter what state it is in. JMO.

Bob Lawless

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How times have changed, when I went to H.S. in Brooklyn, NY; we had a school rifle team. We had a range in the basement of the school. I used to commute to school via the subway, and sometimes I had my rifle with me in a soft case.And letters were given out for the Rifle Team.

Phil Berkowitz

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

http://www.shootectc.org/-----here is a very well run highschool trapshooting conferance- i wud suggest opening up this link and call the pres. or board members-- there is a alot to be learned from nebraska's history. no they dont letter in the schools- for the most part --who cares!! i can say its the BEST event(s) we go to all year-- my hats off to them!!! wally riebesell

10. The Stive

The Stive Member

If a High Schools has a trap team, then they should offer varsity letters.
    John

11. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

The thing I don't understand is how a so-called 'educated man' could make a statement as stupid as......'we may be in a position of awarding a varsity letter to a student and then having to expell him for possession of a firearm.'

That is laughable. Do they expell wrestlers from school after a match....for fighting? Do they expell football players for knocking other players down? What would they do in the case of a boxing match?

This jerk acts like there is no such thing as an exception for school sanctioned events.

You know, keeping guns away from a school that is administered by jerks like this one just might be a good idea after all.

12. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

The school officals argument is weak, very weak.

I'm sure sex education is part of the curliculum, and that if two student broke into free sex in the hallway, I'm sure the would be expelled, same goes for driving, and a reckless driving school grounds, or drug education. etc.

In my mind, every student should have to know how to swim, and how handle a gun safley. And they should not be afraid of either.

13. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

I know that in the late 1940's Georgetown Univ. in DC gave letters to the Rifle Team. I have three of them (Freshman not eligible).

Hank Cross

14. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

This was my submission: "I say yes to awarding the letters. I'm a high school teacher and administrator in SoCal. We too have a zero tolerance policy but it has to do with weapons on campus, not sporting arms at off-campus events. Tell me, are you planning on denying letters to football players who hunt? After all, you might have to revoke their letters too should they bring a gun to school. What about archery, are they subject to the same sanctions? Or what about the javelin or hammer toss or the discus? All of these were originally combat arms and yet today, they are a common component of track and field athletics that no one would dare consider banning under a zero tolerance weapons policy. The logic of this decision is ignorant and myopic. Trap shooting is a long recognized international Olympic sport that has nothing to do with either violence or crime.. To deny athletic recognition is a travesty"

R J Talley

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A "zero-tolerance policy on guns"? In case of a terrorist or other attack on these fools, will they not permit our police and troops to use guns? Are they hoarding rocks to issue for civil defense- or is that too provocative?

What about wrestling? Isn't that violent? Do they issue varsity letters for horticulturs?

Just a few questions that beg answers.

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

A shame, the adult "trips" we put on kids. Let the kids vote re. letters or not. Maybe the kids would rather not spend I'd guesstimate the possible $200.00 or more for letterman's jacket and/or sweater and rather buy ammo! And the adults figure it's ok to play a game that can really physically hurt a young man, football, but not reward a young man or woman for pursuing the shooting sports off campus. Adults need to lead by example. Kids will see through the BS, trust me.

I also hope that since trapshooting is, afterall, expensive, those kids that can't afford to partake on the trapshooting team receive some support to do so if they want through some kind of work/sports program part time.

17. BATTLIN MINER

BATTLIN MINER TS Member

Yes, these fine young men and women deserve there letter and sweater. These accomplished competitors can also display 25,50,75,100 patch. They work just as hard at there sport as any other student.

18. tachyon

tachyon Member

Wally, many of the schools in the Eastern Cornhusker Trapshooting Conference (ECTC) consider Trap to be a letter sport. I coach at Marian High School (an all girls school) and our proposal to make trap a letter sport was just approved. As part of the proposal we surveyed all the other schools in the conference and at least 19 of them offer letters including Omaha Skutt, Creighton Prep, Lincoln Northeast, Papillion LaVista, Papillion South and Fremont. I know I am missing a lot of them but you get the idea.

I know that AGWSR High School in Ackley Iowa lets their trap kids earn letters.

We used a template provided by some of the other teams to build our proposal to make trap a letter sport. HIstory, organization, funding structure, league structure and history, safety, rules and eligibility, and rules for earning a letter were included. We also included support letters from parents and some faculty.

A parent paid for the letters (they are not expensive) and the students have the option to buy a jacket, sweater or just frame the letter.

19. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

1. If the school snactions copetitive sport as a varsity sport why wouldn't they award letters?
    2. No tolerance = no common sense.
    3. I don't believe a schools power negates the right to lawful ownership of a shotgun.
    4. Properly schooled shooting coaches have the same credentials as any vasity coach of another sport.
    5. Shool administrators as a group tend to be anal retentive and suffer from cranial rectal inversion.
    Dan

20. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

There are many, many kids unlikely to "letter" in any sport other than shooting. I have witnessed oh so many kids become "top shooters" because they tried trap. The success they enjoyed shooting is generally carried over into other fields (grades, attitude, ethics, etc.) We have let the schools become so "anal" that this is the common reaction (NO GUNS no matter their intention)....merlyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

should trap be a lettering sport in high school