1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should CALCUTTAS be an option on Reg. Shtng

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How many of you younger shooters would want the option of a Calcutta w/a $20.00
    entry divided 40/30/20/10 not High Gun and pay the top 4 scores, anyone wanting to buy a shooter and receive 50% of this shooters winnings in this option if you bought him and his ability, I know it is gambling but it puts MONEY back in the sport and invites more shooters. And is a good place to start it. I can see it really working at the Grand American on the Last Championship Handicap shoot
    for all the Marbles.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I don't think that calcuttas are allowed, isn't that why they are always called special events? John

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The ATA does not condone events where you wager money on someone elses ability. Lewis class and other options are paid based on your ability. Calling it a special event seems to be acceptable OTOH a rose by any other name is still a rose.

Eric

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'd much rather win a pewter plate, belt buckle or flashlight than any old stinky cash!!

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I like the Calcutta's and play them all the time, trying to pick a winner is half the fun ... I have spent and made a lot of money playing that game ... I have always wondered why the Big Dogs don't buy themself or any of the other Top Guns, must be giving back ... I like the 50/30/20, winning buyer gets 60% or 70% ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Lyle

Lyle Member

In these parts when there was a "Special Event" it was usually a 70-30 split. I have been to other venues where the split was more heavily proportioned to the buyer, like 85-15 or 90-10. In every instance when proportioned more heavily to the buyer, the bidding went up and the pot was much larger.

A combination that is not high gun but a percentage system works better with a large pot having been built.

Lyle

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ls you should consult with your local IRS agent first...

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

NO, ATA has enough input as is. Shooters themselves dictate special events and that's the way it should stay.

HAP

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I would like to see special events split 50-50, buyer and seller.

GneJ

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Hap, I agree with you 100% ... 60/70% to the buyer based on the fact they put up the $$$$, the shooter has nothing to lose or any risk ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Hap, I agree that the buyer puts up the money, but the pressure is on the shooter to perform. Or the buyer gets nothing, so it seems the shooter should get rewarded more for a good performance.

GneJ

12. tgs1420@gmail.com

tgs1420@gmail.com Member

then make a $20.00 High Gun Purse ?
    The Buyer should get more, He puts up more ! The shooters only put up $20.00, I've seen Shooters go for Hundreds ! The shooter always can talk to the buyer and ask for a 50/50 split then pay 1/2 the bid.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought one shooter for $600.00, he got beat by one target so it didn't cost him anymore than the entry to win, lose, or draw ... Thats pressure man ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Lyle

Lyle Member

I was at a Calcutta along with many others where a shooter sold for 22K.......yes, 22K.

Lyle

15. Hap MecTweaks

Lyle, musta taken a long time to glue feathers to the targets huh? :)

HAP

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I enjoy Calcutta's. However, make the game a $5 or $10 buy in. You will get a lot more shooters. I prefer 70/30 split and 50-30-20%. Then whoever doesn't get purchased either by themselves or someone else, put them in a single bunch and auction the group off. Sometimes that can get big in bids.

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

trapshootinghippie, back in the day when live bird shooting flourished, the split was 90/10. I don't believe buyer getting 90% influenced any participant to not win. Just sayen.

18. Lyle

Lyle Member

Hap,

Good guess, but no! It was a few years ago in Utah. One of my friends bought the winner with my bid number and I was smart enough not to split his purchase with him. The shooter he bought came in with a 100 (one of two) and I believe the split was worth 38K, I would have gotten 19K for a 200 dollar bill. Oh well............

I've been to some feathered target calcuttas too.

Lyle

19. Hap MecTweaks

Lyle, good to know you shoot at Vernal now n then!! :)

HAP