1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should a city be allowed to ban guns??? Poll

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Texas Ton, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I'm having a hard time believing this from Tulsa, but I think it's skewed------just to see if I could, I went back in and voted again after about 5 minutes. GRRRRRRRR!

I'd say the anti's have done their job on this one. We don't need a precedence even if it comes from screwy news channel.

If the link doesn't work http://cfc.ktul.com/processpoll.cfm?i=1631&s=ktul&formSecurity=AB81E640ACE57F5AF4A1BAE22F6D4A67&reCaptcha_challenge=88461CCF5D2F0D7CBF7BCA12F63EB4B5&reCaptcha_key=68CDE549DA2988349BE061DE2BA0728D&answer=1

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

To answer the question asked in the thread title,"NO".

To the site idiot above, why don't you do a little research on those towns and find out for us?

3. flylta

flylta TS Member

Go to your temporary internet files and locate this file accmain.js

with the news site closed, reopen the site and you can vote as often as you like.

4. flylta

flylta TS Member

well it let me vote 5 or 6 times now it wont let me anymore.

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I believe this is correct, but it is from memory..........

A few years ago, Columbus Ohio banned all gun sales and gun shows within the city limits. I'm not sure about possession, but this forced the Ohio Gun Collectors Assn. to relocate their huge sun shows and exhibits.

Danny

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

A number of towns in IL ban total or partial firearm ownership - Chicago, Morton Grove, Oak Park, Highland Park (?!) and couple others, but to answer your question - NO.

Now the courts have allowed various degrees of regulation - no machine guns, no mail order etc... at the federal level. The Constitution reserves all powers to the states not given to the Feds.

That said, I do believe "states" have the right to regulate, within reasonable parameters, gun ownership - carry laws, storage, licensing etc... of "legal" firearms. Also, if the states defer home-rule powers to the cities - then they can regulate, but not outright ban (or deFacto ban) a type of firearm ownership.

If Chicago only would reinstate handgun registration for the lawful ownership of handguns (a legal type of firearm)- crime would go down... and that will probably be the future after the SC hands down its ruling in June (I hope).

Jay

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

spitter I have a question for you. IL has FOID or something of that nature what is it for?

Bob Lawless

8. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

Then answer is NO!!! I understand that the consitution states that CONGRESS shall make no law that infringes on our rights, does that mean the states can? The first amendment states freedom of relgion, the federal government can't pass a law to prohibit such but if we use the same logic as is used with the second amendment then a city can outlaw all churches and religion, well we know that is bull$%^&. The same applies with the other bill of rights the states and local governments can't violate them. Our founding father wanted all citizens in the US to enjoy them not just people in some states.

9. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

Let me explain the F.O.I.D. card a little better and show you why the N.R.A. always tells you never give an inch.When this scam was inacted the politions promised it would only be used for the buying of ammo,if a crime was committed with a .38 they would fine out who had bought .38 ammo and try to link them to the crime. The people of Illinois bought it hook line and sinker,it had nothing to do with a gun nothing at all.Fast forward a few years a couple of guys are in rual Illinois pheasant hunting.Up comes a game warden,gun are unloaded,introductions and hand shakes and he asks to see your hunting licence and your F.O.I.D.card.Why an FOID card? Well didn't you hear you have to have one to buy a gun,carry a gun,and own a gun,when did this happen? Oh over this summer it was passed by the state legislature didn't you hear about it?Well as a matter of fact I did not how could they do this with out telling anyone what is going on, well thats not my problem all I need is your FOID CARD NOW.This is how your freedom gets taken away from you,you do not pay attention for one minute and its gone,just like that.ALWAYS GET INVOLVED AND PAY ATTENTION.And remember IF THERE LIPS ARE MOVIN THERE LYIN !!!

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

No civil authorty can change your right to own a gun, based on present law. Ergo: the DC case. Maybe things will change,----we'll see.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Bob Lawless:

FOID is Illinois' 1st bite of the apple, for a background check. FOID allows independent possession of a firearm/ammunition (with respect to certain other requirements) and/or the purchase of firearms/ammunition. It does not allow illegal carry methods - concealed, uncased/loaded transport etc...

FOID has been on the books for decades before NICS. FOID is outdated since it requires interim offenders (within its five year renewal) to notify the state of their ineligibity...so if you were convicted of a felony, alleged mentally ill in a facility, beat your spouse or kids - you're supposed to tell the state police...?!

On a daily basis, its Illinois' way to regulate firearm/ammo dealers on who gets access to ammo and who get close up to firearms before the NICS check.

No minimum age - although that is on the table in Springfield IL. With parental approval minors can get a FOID for possession of long guns/long gun ammo. However all firearm/ammo purchases still require age 18+ (21 handguns). So kids can shoot their shotgun/rifle if mommy/daddy buys the ammo.

Let me know if that helped.

Jay

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bob, (Ivanhoe)

Its Illinois way of knowing where all of the legal gun owners live and who has legal guns if they ever choose to confiscate, besides making a bunch of money in the course of the registration itself ... Its a felony to buy ammo or guns in the State without having an F.O.I.D. card in your possession, if you are a resident ... FOID stands for Firearm Owners Identification but the bad guys are exempt from having them as I recall from when I lived and worked in the State of Illinois ... I do have my expired FOID card as a memory of the restrictions a state can enforce upon the residents no matter what the Constitution or Bill of Rights of the United States says ... Damn I miss being there (NOT) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

The US Constitution superceeds ALL state constitutions.

Example: Slavery is outlawed with the 13th amendment to the US Constitution. No state may allow slavery, even if the state decides it would like to.

2nd Amendment to the US Constition prohibits infringement of the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Answer to your question is no law may be made that would infringe the right of people to own a gun.

14. alpine

alpine TS Member

It is truly frighting that 42% of responders to the poll do not understand "Shall NOT be infringed".

15. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

The bill of rights are an after thought to the constitution. The constitution was ratified in 1789, not until 1791 was the bill of rights added. They where put in place to protect the people from the government. The founding fathers knew that there would be self serving idealogs and power hungry people who would be corrupt. If you read the constitution, you'll find that very little affords americans any liberties, all our in the bill of rights. Look at the first 10 as the commanments and fight to keep them all intact, lose one, LOSE THEM ALL...Mike

16. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

NO... If every city and town encated their own level of gun laws and regulations how could you travel from place to place with a firearm? The intent of some would be to prevent you from doing so. Arrest and conviction in any location could end your gun rights and you would never recover them. Just remember seemingly logical gun laws put in place supposidly to protect us can and will with vigerous enforcement come back to strip us of our rights. Just remember the supreme court has already ruled the police have no duty to protect the individual citizen.

17. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

What a sad state we are in for such a question to even come up.

18. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

deckart - WE DO NOT LIVE IN A DEMOCRACY

19. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

John Adams

1763 - An Essay on Man's Lust for Power

Category: Democracy

[D]emocracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy, such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable cruelty of one or a very few.

John Adams

1814 - letter to John Taylor

Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.

Fisher Ames

1788 - speech in the Massachusetts Ratifying Convention

The known propensity of a democracy is to licentiousness which the ambitious call, and ignorant believe to be liberty.

James Madison

1787 - Federalist No. 10

[D]emocracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths.

We live in a Representative Republic!

20. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

If it's OK for a state to ban guns...
    Is it thereby also OK for a state to ban women voters...??
    How about a state banning curches..??
    Can a state allow slavery...??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.