1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotshell Velocity

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Eleanor, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleanor

Eleanor TS Member

Does it effect the pattern density ?

2. setter

setter Member

We had of little of this discussion at a while back. Click on above thread.

3. Eleanor

Eleanor TS Member

Thanks setter.

Is there any relationship between velocity and choke restriction or does it matter ?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When the shot string passes through the sound barrier it encounters turbulence which can disrupt the pattern. Not something to worry about. HMB

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

ELeanor, here's a link to another pair of test, one of which showed a small speed effect on pattern density, the other none. In any case, there doesn't seem to any effect you can "do something with", that is, for example, "open up your pattern" by shooting faster shells.

I guess your second question is based on the fact that all the patterns reported here are from full chokes at trapshooting distances. Would the effect be different if the chokes used were different? It's a fair question to which I have no test-based answer, and while I've tried for a couple of guesses, I think I had better not.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.