1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shotshell tracer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hangn7, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

I am looking for a cheap way to make a few tracer shells to help new shooters and yes old shooter with problems see where their shot is going. These will not be used in match but training only. Would a scoop of graphite put with the shot be enough to see? Thank you all. Mark

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They don't work and are not a very good tool for new shooters. They'll cause more confusion and false perceptions than they are worth.

JMHO,

Tron

3. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Thanks Tron, I am open to any ideas that are out there that will help. Thanks mark

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OK, here's an idea- first, start the new shooter off at a patterning board and establish that the POI is where you want it (there are a lot of threads on this site on this subject, just use the SEARCH feature). This time at the board is also a good time to work on form, stance and to see first hand how gun fit is and be sure that you have someone there that knows what they are looking at as far as fit is concerned (fit will follow proper form and stance...that must be correct before proper fit can be established).

Now, take the new shooters to the game and apply form, stance (footing is very important) and allow them to practice the right way. If they are not practicing the right way, they are wasting time and money. The only short cut to success is through proper coaching and training.

JMHO!

Tron

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Standing 2 feet behind a shooter and following the gun barrel with your eyes as he shoots, will often allow you to accurately see the shot string. This is much better than any tracer system I have seen.

I did shoot some Winchester tracer shells several years ago. I noted that often I would break the target but the tracer was not very close to the target. I think the shot string and the tracer went separate ways soon after leaving the barrel.

Pat Ireland

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

There is a wad manufactured with a metallic pellet in the bottom of the shot cup. The pellet is ignited by the powder. The problem with this design is that the 1/4-inch pellet needs to have the same ballistic properties as the shot in order to be useful. My experience with the wads tells me that the pellet in the wads I tested did not, and these are the most carefully thought-out design I've seen for a shotgun tracer.

Morgan

7. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

I agree that the wad is not the best indicator. I thought the graphite in the shot might be just enough of a grey cloud to show the shot pattern. Its just a thought. I dont have enough experience in watching the shot to see it all the time. That will come with time. Thanks to all that give input. It is greatly appreciated. Mark

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

problem with any tracer in a shot gun is the fact that the tracer is not the same weight as the shot, and does not travel as fast. Also I have seen a few people use these at the range. They spend more time looking for the tracer than the target. There was a large thread about tracer rounds not long ago. Many reported buying them, The individual who was selling the wads said he was goinr to produce a video, I do not remember seeing the results. The post seemed to fade away .

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i bought 2 flats of the tracers - first they are hard to see in bright light - they will NOT work for trap at a range unless you are beside the trap house - they do a fair job on skeet you need to be inside of 25yds or the wad and shot are not close BUT if someone wants to try them i still have some OH they can cause a fire if you hit a real close bird rick

10. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

The old Winchester produced tracers from the late 60's worked like a charm. Easily seen in daylight and looked like a fireworks display at night. They advertised that the tracer pellet in the base of the shot flew remarkably near the center of the shot mass. They weren't produced for long, maybe a couple of years. Too many grass fires created by non trap and skeet shooters so their legal department said quit.

The leftovers I have of these shells no longer emit a trace. I assume the trace material in the pellet deteriorates with age to the point it will no longer ignite but I sure with they would work. I have never seen a better way to demonstrate to a new shooter that they have to lead a target or they will shoot behind it.

11. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Lot's of graphite in the shot would look like a fart in the wind.

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Follow the above thread about form and fit then have the new shooters, a couple at a time stand right behind the trap house and shoot a few rounds. Very litle lead is needed from that position. Even lock the trap down, then there are just sraight aways. We can see shot strings in the night time with our new lights if you are watching from the 27 and farther and the shooters are on the 16 especially when they are shooting homemade shot with no graphite on it. Bill

13. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Thanks Bill, We do have lights, I will try that some evening. To all Thank You for your input. It is greatly appreciated. Mark

14. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Mark,

I haven't shot under lights since 1967 at NAS Beeville but I could see the shot string back then at the skeet range. My eyes were a bit younger then, of course. I often thought about making tracer rounds by rolling the shot in a shallow pan of white paint to cover the shot with a thin coat of paint and my supposition was that it would really stand out against the black sky. I never followed up with my idea as I got transferred to MCB Quantico shortly after I started shooting and got involved in a whole different type of shooting for a while.

Semper fi

15. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

OTM Thanks for the input, Just thinking (now isnt that scary) Is it easier to see the shot from any other location than directly behind the shooter? Something said about that in a previous post at night. What about during the day? What do you look for? Wad tracking only works if they fly true. I have hit clays with the wad or aleast what was left of them and I have seen wads take a hard right 10 feet out. I have alot to learn about his sport. I do enjoy trying to help new shooters get off to a good start so they keep shooting. The club has some really great shooters that will give everything to help others and I would like to carry on this tradition. OTM thank you for all that you have given to this great country. Mark

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Start the new shooter with the trap machine locked on straight-away's, and the shooter standing at stations 2, 3, and 4 only. 8 or 9 shots at each station so they shoot a full round. Get them breaking targets.

Then, when they have a little confidence, graduate them to straight away's on 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Then, when they have a little confidence there, release the machine to oscillate, but let them shoot from stations 2, 3, and 4 only.

Then the natural progression is once they are breaking targets at 2, 3, and 4 with the machine oscillating, let them try shooting at stations 1 and 5.

A little confidence breaking targets early goes a long way.

If they stubmle badly at one step, take them back to the easier step and work some more.

Don't just stand behind them and see where they shot. You also have to stand beside (in a sfe position, of course) and watch what they're doing. Are they following the fundamentals? Stance, elbow up, forward lean, head on the stock, following through, etc?

The good coach is not the guy who can tell them where they missed. Anyone can do that. The good coach is the guy who can tell them why they missed (lifted your head, stopped the gun, leaned on the back foot, etc.)

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.