1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotshell resizing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfesi, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfesi

jfesi Member

I've been reloading on a MEC for some time now, but just made the change to a Hornady 366. I see that there is station 1a for resizing. Is it really necessary to resize your shells every time if I am shooting all of the relaods in the same O/U?

Thanks for the info,

Joe

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Nope, But just remember if you ever buy another gun your reloads may or may-not work in it. I always resize on my 266's and 366's. You never know.

ss

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Simply, No. I only resize them when they appear to fit snug in station (1).

Matt

Pacific DL366 user

4. neofight

neofight TS Member

I know those who are more learned on the subject will chime in shortly, but i would hazard a guess that one should re-size each time. With each firing of that shell, there has to be some expansion. One thing for sure is;if you do re-size, it should fit in the chamber just fine. If you don't re-size, i would think you would end up with several shells in the no-fit box.

Another way of looking at is, why would a manufacturer have re-sizing dies built in to their re-loaders?

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The 366 appears to use the same ring-type resizer as a P-W uses. This is adequate for soft brass bases but can present a bit of a problem with steel bases. I have an older Browning that has a rather large chamber at .813". It's hard to stuff a hull base that size into a .806" sleeve sizer. I always use a MEC Super Sizer stand-alone collet resizer on the hulls that come from that gun (and one other). It takes a lot of strain off the loader and it makes the whole process go more smoothly.

MK

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The barrels in the o/u may not have the same dimensions in the chambers. Just like shooting two separate guns. The only way you'll know is to try it and see if it works. Personally, I resize all my cases.

Ajax

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Buy a MEC, PW or a Spolar ... then you won't have to worry! They automatically resize all hulls.

8. Unknown1

<blockquote><i>"Buy a MEC, PW or a Spolar ... then you won't have to worry! They automatically resize all hulls."</i></blockquote>Yes they do that but<UL><LI>some hulls need more resizing than others<LI>and some hulls put more strain on the press during resizing than others<LI>so it's easier on both press and operator to resize hulls separately if they've expanded past .808"-.809" after firing.</UL>
    P-W presses specifically use ring sizers because they were designed when flexible brass hull bases were the norm. This design doesn't handle steel as well.

MK

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I recently purchased a 1100 28 ga and a two barrel set(20 and 28 ga) o/u. I found out the hard way about resizing. I had bought a couple of thousand old Remington hulls they were quite old and ran them through my 8567 without any thought and then shot some in the 1100 and it consumed them with no problem. Then I got out the o/u to shoot and would have to force the shells into the chamber and then had to use a ramrod to get them out. Needless to say, I adjusted the resizer on my reloader and now they will process without any problem. Load a dozen and see that they will slide in the chamber smoothly without force. Jackie B.

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

You have to size on the 266 unless you really radically adjust the sizer up and away from the depriming rod. Resizing is the smart way to go. Sure, it takes more time but the ammo is truely universal then. No two chambers are alike and who needs sticky cases right? To be hones though, if you use the stell headed brass coated hulls you may need a MEC sizemaster or Supersizer. The ring sizer on a 266/366 or a PW is not really up to the task.

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Joe: After a terrible experience at a registered shoot several years ago, (many of my shells would not fit into the chamber), I purchased a MEC Supersizer. I now resize every shell. I can resize a flat of shells, (250) in 10 minutes. A small price to pay to have piece of mind. I then can skip that resizing station on my 366. I know some disagree with me; but I feel that "out of the way" resizing station on the 366 is a "pain". Bottom line, get the Supersizer and there will be no problems. Ed

12. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

Joe:
    I use a Hornady 366 and it has also been my experience that the reloading process runs much smoother without using the resizing station. I have a MEC Super Sizer which is a terrific unit. Before every reloading session, I inspect my hulls, toss the rejects and then resize back to factory specs. John

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have a 366 also and in over 25 years have never ran a hull thru it without going thru the resizing station . What is the big deal ? I use the STS`s and RGC hull but prefer the STS`s and will eventually faze out the steel based hulls .

14. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks everyone for your great advice. This forum has helped me on many occasions and I really appreciate it!

15. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"I have a 366 also and in over 25 years have never ran a hull thru it without going thru the resizing station . What is the big deal ?"</I></blockquote>Nobody says it's a big deal. Just happens that lots of people do things differently than you do.

MK

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No matter what loader, if you scrounge shells at shoots or around the club, you best resize your hulls. If you ever or might ever shoot an auto loader, you better resize your hulls. If you are or might shoot 2 or more guns or maybe buy new guns, or expect to loan a buddy some shells, you better resize them. I agree that it's simply not a big deal to resize. I punched out 500 of them many years back, scrounged shells, and at least 150 of them were never going to fit in my chambers. I'll not confess in public how I fixed the situation....breakemall....Bob Dodd

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Bob, some of the old reloading machines had the resize station on the last station also. LOL

Ajax

18. Erik W

Erik W Member

The resize station on my 366 requires a lot of force, even on nice old brass AA hulls. Can't imagine how hard steel would be. I skip it and have no problems.

19. lostandout

lostandout Member

my shells are always resized. when i bring them home the wife resizes them for me so they are ready to go when i am ready to reload

20. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

For all of the above reasons, I resize and knock out the primers on my 266.

Then I put the open hulls into a laundry bag with some tee shirts and throw them into the washing machine.

The tee shirts take almost all of the bite out of the shells when washing, and help to clean the hulls. With the primers knocked out they dry in a couple of hours. The tee shirts get washed also.

Then I just cycle them thru the 366. shell, wad, watch for primer drop, and so on. Much faster to not have to use the resize station on the 366, but you still need to resize with something.

Makes for a trouble free loading session, and trouble free usuage.

Does the MEC sizer deprime too?

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
is it necessary to size shotshells before reloading
mec shotshell resizer
resizing shotshells
resizing shotshells with a hornady resizer

shotshell resizer

shotshell resizing
shotshell sizer