1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotshell Reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grand6, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grand6

grand6 TS Member

Hi Guys:

I am new to Trapshooters.com. I just retired not long ago and want to start reloading shotshells, for Trap only ( Light Loads ) Can anyone recommend the best reloading book for beginners? I haven't purchased any equipment yet, I have plenty of time so I don't think I'll need a progressive reloader, or will I.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    grand6.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is good to learn on a single stage loader and then graduate to a progrssive machine. HMB

3. Gun plumber

Gun plumber TS Member

I have a loading room full of books. But I recently found IMR/Hogdon, and Alliant companies on the web. They post the most current data on their web sites. Get ANY of the new or old lyman shot manuals and read all the loading instructions. Bear in mind NEVER substitute the components in the loading data. This can cause a spike in pressures that can be dangerous.

4. Gun plumber

Gun plumber TS Member

If you check with GunBroker.com under the reloading site. They usually have reloading presses. I prefer the Ponsness Warren model 357 press. I have several and have been using one press for over 30 yrs. You can't wear them out. If you are only loading one gauge a Lee or MEC will work very well. If you buy the press on GunBroker be sure the press has ALL the parts.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

grand6,

Now that you're hooked deep into this shooting game. A few suggestions that I'd recommend:

Learning the basics of how a reloader works is best done with someone who's done it and can be trusted. Someone at your local club should be able to show you the ropes. This way you can learn all the little tricks that they have accumulated over the years.

Keep it simple at first. A good used Mec 600 Jr. will suffice for a good learner/basic loader and give you quality loads while getting comfortable with the proceedures.

Patience. Don't try to rush through the process. Just keep the distractions down to a minimum. Don't worry about spills, they still happen to seasoned reloaders.

Use only published data and a good set of scales. The digital scales are easiest to use, but cost a couple of dollars more.

Basic reloading manuals are available from your local supplier. All the powder companies have freebie versions of these available to the public. The also have websites for the same info.

I hope this helps. If you live in central Indiana, I'd be more than happy to help out if I can.

ec90t

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

get a grabber 650 or 9000 if in the market for a MEC. Loading 1 shell at a time until used to it. Disconect the auto feature on the 9000 until used to it. What Ever loader you buy READ the directions. Load published data and a good scale.

7. shark1

shark1 Member

I agree with ec90t. Do what the published material reads. when i doubt throw out. I love reloading but they quite making my powder, now I must find a new one. I use a Mec 9000g, and started on a size master press.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

ShotgunWorld.com is the place for you. They divide the shooting sports into categories so you don't have to wade through posts that have no interest to you.
    Their reloading section is top notch with lots of very experienced loaders ready to answer your questions & concerns about any load for any gauge. Start with a MEC sizemaster single stage loader & you may find that it will be all you will ever need unless you load in very large quantities or are very limited for time.

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Above is the link for Mec reloaders. If you go to the manuals page, you can download, as a PDF, any unit they make. The have made millions of reloader since about 1956. All of their manuals walk you through the reloading steps one at a time. I would only load a single shell through each stage until you get the routine down. It just gets very complicated when you have 6 shells in progress at any given time, like a progressive machine.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a bit more to say about reloaders. When I first was thinking about doing it I went to the shooter at our club that always seems to shoot well, I asked him about reloading. I then went to his house. "you gonna shoot trap" yes. " gonna shoot as much as you have been" plan on it. Then dont screw around get a 650 a grabber or the 9000. The 600jr is great if you want to load a hundred or so hunting loads in the off season. He then taught me how to reload on a 9000. 1st he disabled the auto index, then the powder bar actuator and spring. One shell at a time manually pushing the charge bar. Then as I got a bit better He re attached the charge bar spring and actualtor. Slowly he got it into full swing. Now I ended up with a 650 and a resizer. recently got a 9000 but new baby, new schedule for the wife and a few more unexspected things. Shooting and reloading has hit the back burner. over the past 2 years I have become a MEC junky. Buying and fixing up and selling loaders all types. the 600 are a great loader but many what a slow process and it can not get any faster. There are many good deals to be had. I just picked up another 650 here on TS. I plan on loading my 1st shot in Dubs with it. Now if money is not a problem and you have a mechanical touch. Any loader will be great. I would love to find a good and cheap dillon with the auto case drop and the swing out wad quide. For me though MECS are buy far nothing better in the price range. I have 3 600s I use for trial loads,hunting and have one set up for steel. I do believe that is on its way.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Lots of good advice above.

Here's my top 3:

1. Absolutely, positively, get a GOOD scale. Digital scales aren't any more accurate than balance scales, they're just more easy to use. Weight your powder. Don't assume the bushing tables are accurate. They're not.

2. Get the Lyman manual, and Hodgdon, and a few others. Read them.

3. Learn on a single stage. Then move up to a progressive. Can't go wrong with MEC. I like my Hornady 366.

Other stuff:

I really like Hodgdon powders, because they're a small company local to where I live, and I know Chris Hodgdon and some of the fine folks who work there. Others like Alliant. Pick your poison.

Downrange Wads work great. Made in Hastings NE. Kevin Lewis of Downrange is a great resource for information. Give them a try.

Recommend you "standardize" on a brand of primer. I like Winchester, but the others work fine.

Many folks (but not all) use Remington hulls. Very available, and they reload nice. Remington Gun Club, Sport Load, STS, and Nitro hulls are essentially interchangeable.

Try to put a cookie sheet or something under your reloader if you can. You're going to spill a lot of shot and powder until you get the hang of it.

Good luck!

12. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

I suggest a used MEC progressive and as maclellan1911 has mentioned it can be used as a single stage until you get the hang of it. If you look you can find one used at a decent price and it is quite popular so parts are easy to get. I have also find MEC customer service to be an excellent resource when trouble pops up.

Also as mentioned a quality reloaders scale is a necessity.

If you are near Philadelphia email me. I'd be happy to help you get setup.

13. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The best book is the RCBS shotshell reloading book
    The best loader is the Spolar I wouldnt buy a single press I would go right to the best press Call Spolar and talk to them you will be glad you did

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

You didn't mentions finances so I would assume that you can afford to get whatever. You did say that you had plenty of time but once you start shooting and loading a good bit you will be glad that you got a 9000 Mec. It is easy to learn on and then switch to progressive. You have to get a set of scales but an inexpensive beam scale like the 500 works just great. Some of this you can get off ebay for a good deal as well as the books your interested in. You will probably be sticking to the same load and powder which make the beam scale a simple decision. Buy the best you can afford but the 9000 will probably do all you will ever need. I can load several cases of shells in a couple of hours and some of the more expensive loaders are faster and easier but for me not worth the expense. I have four 600's and 4 progressive mecs since I like to shoot all gauges. This is something you need to consider for your shooting future. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loading shotshells for trap shooting

shotshell reloading tips for trap shooting