1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotshell Reloading Books Recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nsrailroad, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Any recommendation on shotshell reloading, the 2 have heard about is abc's and Lyman's.
    Thanks
    Railroad

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a book on proper procedures and tips or are you looking for recipes?

3. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

proper procedures and tips

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Lymans pretty much has it all.
    Get Alliant's and Hodgdon's and that of any other powder mfg you might be using. They are free and on line as well. Up date your manuals whenever possible. While there are seldom changes in the powders, new componets show up all the time. I am now starting to see recipes using Cheddites but did not a year or so ago.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Both are pretty good basic, solid fundamental texts, but ABC is more generic and Lyman has a solid MEC bias. If you load with MEC, Lyman is the way to go, and may be the best, anyhow.

If you frequent used bookstores, pick up all the OLD manuals you can. Good stuff there.

Bob

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Somebody should publish a "Reloading for Dummies."

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

WELCOME to TS.Com.. I'm happy to have a shooter actually want to study the process of reloading,, There was a book in print a while back called "THE ABC'S of RELOADING".. It had quite a few sections dedicated to reloading shotgun shells.. along with data.. Hull identification.. wads.. primers.. choke.. patterns etc.. Lyman #2 also did a good job as well as the Pacific loading book.. Look on E-bay.. you'll find them all.. sooner or later...

Where do you live??? The best way to start is get with a reloader and watch.. AND.. I always suggest a single stage loader first.. Before you purchase anything else.. PLEASE put a inexpensive powder scale on the list..

Let me know if I can help... All Good.. Mike

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think the original hard cover copy of the Hodgdon manual was the best. You have to buy it. It's still in print and worth it. I does have some lame articles by some gun writers, but the reloading info, dos and don'ts, etc. are top notch. Lyman's 5th edition Shotshell Reloading is not as good, IMO.

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

There are four current reloading books that I'm aware off: Lyman 5th edition Shotgun Reloading Manual is one. Another is the Reloading for Shotgunners,fourth edition by Kurt D. Fackler and M.L. McPherson. MEC has a nice one and finally RCBS. They are available from www.amazon.com, where you buy components or any good sporting goods store, online or not.

Better yet, in addition to the books, find someone who is a well-experienced reloader to help you get through the learning stages to clarify what the books don't make clear. There's always something!

Used books stores will have copies of the Lyman earlier editions. Vol 1 is interesting as it is in the transition era from nitro card and fiber filler to plas wads.

- - Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
abc of shotshell reloading

best shotshell reloading book

best shotshell reloading books
mec reloading for shotgunners
reloading for shotgunners book vs abc reloading
reloading shotshells recommendations
shotgun reloading books
shotshell reloading books