1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotshell Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perezal, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perezal

perezal Member

Ok I got data from the company, but Winchester AA Hulls only have Winchester primers and Remington Gun Clubs have Remington Primers on the data, but what would happen if I use a Winchester primer in a Remington Hull that calls for a Remington Primer?

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Virtually nothing. (I guess I should have said "Virtually nothing different.")
    The only time you should be concerned about your primer choice is if your load (for whatever) is right on the ragged edge pressure-wise and you're not sure if the primer you're considering is hotter than what you're currently using. Otherwise, relax.

Bob Falfa

3. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

I have been reloading for over 20 years now and when it comes to primers. I use them interchangeably. The only difference I found is that 209a give a little more umph! then standard 209.

Many may argue but aint had a problem yet.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've been reloading for 35 years, AA old style, new style, Federal, and Remingtons.

When at the reloader it is whatever I grab. I am not a purist so in 500 loads, I could have WW 209 old and new style primers, Remingtson, and Federals.

Seems to work for me with zero problems.

WW

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Some will say to be very careful with interchanging reloading components, which is true, but as far as primers go I don't believe there is a discernible difference. You'll find your Remington and Winchester primers are very close in their respective heat range.

Bryan

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Try looking at the loading data from the powder manufacturers. It usually gives you more options. For low pressure target loads, it is less critical, but primer substitutions can affect recipes that run high pressures, like handicap and hunting loads. If you are just starting out, follow a published recipe. Mark

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

What components are you usin

8. perezal

perezal Member

I have Remington Gun Clubs, Win 209 Primers, International Clays, Rem. TGT Wads.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Hodgdon lists 4 different 1 oz loads with your components, from 1180 fps up to 1345 fps. see link above. Mark

10. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Maybe look at the above link. Things aren't always simple and that is why we get the latest reloading data we can find before making moves. For instance, Fed 209 ( old style ) in a Win AA hull with 19.5 gn. 700x, a Windjammer Tournament Wad, 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 magnum shot gives a listed 1195 fps. at 8300 LUP.

With the new Fed 209A OR a Win 209 it takes just 17.5 gn. 700x to give the same velocity but the Fed 209A pressure is listed as 10,100 and the Win 209 pressure is 9,700. A difference of 400 units which can make a load on the high side of the pressure range shoot into gun damaging territory.

When I run out of the last of my Fed 209's I will be relieved because 30 year old loading data doesn't list many of the currently available Powders and differences in Hulls. Then when my old style WW AA's get crispy and unreliable I will have to turn to another direction like maybe the Rem STS or Nitro 27's which -seem- to be made pretty much like the old style AA's.

Don Thompson, Littleton CO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

heat range for shotshell primers

heat ranges of 209 shotgun primers

relative heat range of 209 primers

shotgun primer heat range