1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shotshell pellet counter?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

saw this at 100Straight, but they want 35 bucks for it, and i'm way too cheap for that LOL. Seems to me it'd be alot easier to draw the circle and count the pellets outside the circle and subtract them from a known amount to determine pattern percentage.

Any thoughts on a cheaper alternative?

2. skeet_man

My plan is to load maybe 10 shells normally, cut them all open and hand count them, take an average, and make some sort of mechanical counter so all I have to do is pour the shot in, pour out the excess, and load the exact same amount of pellets into each shell.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You'll do that to save $35? I have a fatherly interest in that device since I designed it. Once you count those first dozen shells or so - and realize you'll have to repeat it next size or brand of shot or factory shell you use, you will be sending 100 Straight a check by express mail!

Neil

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Skeetman,

What kind of testing are you doing that requires that level of detail? I'm not trying to be a wise acre just curious.

5. Neil Winston

Wolfram, if you want to know pattern percentages, you have to know how many pellets were in the shell, pretty close. Without counting them you have no idea.

Neil

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

After you use it for pellets, you could get some wooden pegs and use it to play Cribbage!! Wayne

7. Neil Winston

likes-to-shoot, you can weigh all you want, but that won't tell you how many pellets are in the next brand of shot, or size, or factory shell. That's because the number of pellets is a number, not a weight or volume and though it will stay the same for this reloading session, when you change bags of shot, all bets are off.

Neil

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Especially for skeet, anything from 75 pellets to 450 is good enough, when you know ahead of time exactly where every target is going.

I sell thousands of used primers to skeeters for a real good price also. They're smart enough to recognize a bargain when they see it!

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If my loads look good at the patterning board and smoke targets at 27 yds...I don't care about percentages!

10. willing

willing Member

If you want to know %s, try Shotgun Insight. It comes pretty close.

Bill

11. Neil Winston

willing, have you ever tried counting shot with Shotgun-insight?

With the 100-straight device you open a shell, pour the shot into the counter, fiddle for maybe 30 seconds and you have your number.

With shotgun insight you also open a shell, but then you pour the shot onto a sheet of paper, hoping you don't lose many. Then you photograph it, hie the memory card to a computer, fire up the software and have your total in just a few minutes.

I'll tell you what I prefer.

Neil

12. Neil Winston

Ahab, that's a perfectly reasonable stance. Percentages are only for those with an interest in them and likely have little to do with anything beyond giving shooters something to talk about.

Neil

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil, I always though the denominator was an assumption or mass based estimate but can see how that adds a level of uncertainty to the test results. Same effect as miscounting the number of hits in a certain area. Gotta admire that level of attention to detail even if it is beyond my desire to duplicate.

14. Neil Winston

That's only the half of it, wolfram, consider this. You can take some shot, say an ounce of it, and count the pellets and you'll have a good gauge of how big it is, on the average. This came up in a possible complaint a few years ago regarding the use of 7's. Since I'd just loaded a bag of Lawrence which was labeled 7 1/2 but by count turned out to be about sevens, I advised the potential complainer that he had a loser on his hands since you could be loading that size and never know it nor be guilty of anything.

Remember, it just takes a few seconds.

Neil

15. skeet_man

wow, this may be a record for the most number of posts for this time frame LOL

I've done the shotgun insight thing, but i'm not entirely convinced it works as well for 20ga, 28ga, and .410 as it does for 12. All their calculations are based on a 30" circle, which doesn't work so well for the small gauges since your using a pattern thats diameter is smaller than 30" (closer to 20" in the .410). I'm taking a little step backward and going old school, time to break out the magic marker calculator and ruler LOL.

I'll try the styrofoam deal 1st, and keep the 100 straight one in the back of my mind.

16. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have a 2lb. counting scale, have never tried to count shot, I might try it tomorrow, drop a 10 pc. sample in, hit enter and put the rest in the pan.

tony

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Wayneo - only one of us Hoosiers would think of that

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

To me the value of something is how useful it is. The 100Straight shot counter, conceived by Neil, has proven to be very useful to me and worth the cost.

I could clean up my shop, uncover my small mill and make one of the devices myself. This would only take me most of a day (cleaning out my shop would take the most time). I bought one and left my shop a mess and storage area for my Wife's business.

Pat Ireland

19. samiam03

samiam03 Member

or you could take a measured amount of water - add the shot and calculate the displacement and divide by the shot size.

I'd rather open a beer sit back close my eyes and think about breaking hard lefts from #5

Sam

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

WOW!! This is the best information with the most laughs I've had in my memory. 2 questions, Pat has convinced me that I need one of the counters. I will not attempt to make one after I saw the result of my efforts to make a special cribbage board from a $90 piece of wood. And I also don't have the free time to clean my basement. What I didn't get done last winter, I'll do this winter. Who's selling the counter shown?

Second question: Some time ago I saw a screen made up in a small frame for sorting shot from the dirt on this site. Does any one remember them, or where it would be obtainable? Thanks, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.