1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shots fired on gun control

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbshep, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbshep

jbshep Member

Recommended reading:

http://www.fred08.com/NewsRoom/InTheNews.aspx?ID=142bcdb6-ec4d-4674-9728-c4b091485d30

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

3. incognito

incognito TS Member

I see in this article that Giuliani claims to be in agreement with "a recent federal court ruling that overturned a 30-year-old ban on private ownership of handguns in Washington, D.C." I wonder if he would support the same for New York City, and if so why doesn't he say so? If not, why? And, why didn't he support handgun legalization for NYC while he was Mayor? Someone should publicly press him on this.

4. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

From a strictly legal perspective, handguns can be owned in New York City. It's just that the Sullivan Act is tightly enforced, and the left wing New York City Council would never liberalize the law. Any mayor can use the council as cover, so he can look sympathetic, knowing his bluff can't be called.

Since handguns are not the subject of an outright ban, courts have ruled that the controls exercised by the city would be "reasonable".

I agree that it sucks, but that bunch of sheeple in New York City are getting the government for which they voted. Bloomberg is as left-wing as they come.

Best,
    Dennis

5. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

He and his stance on gun control was the topic of several national news services this afternoon. The consensus was that he lied to the NRA. He is anti gun and no matter what he tells you in an effort to get elected, he will take your gun in a heartbeat.

6. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

I think Giuliani is exactly the sort of eastern elitist establishment character he appears to be.

Deep down, the NRA doesn't really want him to be nominated. However, since he's the front-runner, they can't "afford" to publicly oppose him, either. If they did, and he went on to win the White House anyway, it would permanently destroy the NRA's perceived leverage.

An anti-gun Republican getting elected _without_ NRA support would render NRA irrelevant.

So...we get this awkward, scripted political dance between Wayne LaPierre and Giuliani, both knowing exactly what game is afoot, but neither able to acknowledge the nature of it.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Giulliani is an anti-gun RINO - Republican In Name Only. This jerk needs to be dumped as early as possible in the primaries.

8. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

President Fred Thompson and VP Duncan Hunter. Sounds good to me. F-Rudy.

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Rudy hates guns. Buzzgun said it well. Just a dance....

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Brian is totally right about Rudy G......

As proponents of our 2nd Amendment rights, we better support fred Thompson.

Curt - Delaware

11. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I'd have to say that while the NRA probably doesn't really want Rudy in the White House, he's still a LOT better than having Hillary there.

In contemporary politics, it's not who you want half so much as it is who you don't want. I cannot have the President I want; the closest to a candidate whom I want is not electable. The one I want most is dead and already served two terms. But any of the Republican candidates - with the possible exception of Ron Paul, whose foreign policy statements scare me - is better than any of the Democratic candidates, all of whom are known anti-gunners.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.