1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaking

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bubba68, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba68

bubba68 Member

I still have a considerable amount of shot left over from 4 years ago, before having to take a little time off from shooting. I am back shooting now and have begun to start reloading again.

When I come to the time that I need to purchase more shot, I will consider all sources, including some of the people on this site that make their own.

My question is, what is the hardness (level of antimony) in the shot made from wheel weights? I would imagine that it would be a pretty soft lead.

I have always made it a point to buy magnum shot in the past - just curious how it would compare.

2. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

It's hard!

3. JWS

JWS Member

Its as good as factory magnum shot. I make The Better shotmaker. All of my machines are in stock ready for next day shipping (except on Friday or Saturday)then it would Monday your machine would ship out. This is a great forum to get ideas from. You just have to cut through alot of BS sometimes to get the answers you need.
    When the times comes and you start thinking about making your own shot give me a call at 256-587-0107. You can visit my web site any time at: http://www.thebettershotmaker.com
    James Stewart

4. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i think its harder than magnum,ive been using the same mix for pistol bullets,and havent found any of my stuff softer than brinnel hardness of 14.mark

5. JWS

JWS Member

^^^

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

And it weighs less than magnum shot and there are more pellits per oz. won't matter if you use 7.5 for 16yrds or short yrds but you would need to start a 7.5 about 200 fps faster to have the same energy at 45yrds as a factory handycap load.

Joe goldberg

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

If you're into finding someone in your area that can sell you homemade shot, you can visit the Lead Trading Post forum here. It is a website that I built for guys on here to trade shot, wheel weights etc. Hope this helps, Josh.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Josh: I sent you an e-mail asking you a few questions since the site shows you as the contact for Illinois. I got your answer with an attachment but it wouldn't open. I mailed you a couple more times through TS.Com but no answer(s). Would it do any good to try again here? Dave P.

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Well, I sent a PM back to you explaining I am from Iowa. How long ago did I send that email? I don't remember sending an email to you, but I don't know, I've been busy ever since school got out. Send me an email at the address above and we can discuss there, make sure to drop the x's. Thanks, Josh.

10. JWS

JWS Member

^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.