1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

=== SHOTMAKING QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gmangh15, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gmangh15

Gmangh15 Member

I'm looking at possibly getting into making my own shot. I have a lead source and shoot competitively so I figured why not. From what I've read it looks like I want something that has a temp control on it, and 220 volts. I would like to get size 7.5, 8, 9 drippers. What I'm looking at doing is melting the lead into ingots then making the shot from the ingots. Will I need a tumbler to make the shot round like factory shot? Or does it come out good and round from the dripper to the coolant? Also what do you use as the coolant? Im possibly in the market for a maker depending on price? What shotmaker do you suggest? I've watched videos and read on how to melt the lead into ingots and got that part down. I just need to learn the shotmaker part now. Thanks for any help.

Garrett

2. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Garret, I would look for a Jimmy Stewart BLACK MAX shot maker, it has been very trouble free for my self, as for coolant, i use anti freeze and i use a ciruclation pump and run it thru a radiator to keep it cooled once it gets warm and i never let the coolant get over 115, as for the tumbler,I use it to graphite the shot before i bag it, hope this helps
    Chuck
    rocnc_2008_03033.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Gmangh15

Gmangh15 Member

so you do tumble your shot? ive read and people have said it comes out just fine without having to tumble it. Does the shotmaker have a temp gauge on it?

4. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

I tumble my shot when I add the graphite to it, i use a heat gun to get the temp of the coolant as it is running,

5. Gmangh15

Gmangh15 Member

How do you separate the shot from the coolant? I guess pump the coolant out? Then dry the shot graphite it and tumble it?

6. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

I use a 3 rince system, i get the water boiling and let the shot set in the hot water until i have another basket full then i move it down to the next bucket, then into the drying bin, once i get it dry i use a sorting tray to sort out the oversized shot and remelt what doesn't go thru the sorting tray

7. Brandon401401

Brandon401401 TS Member

Buy a Better Shot Maker (Black Max) Build your coolant tank a minimum of 12"-14" deep with a capacity of no less than 8-10 gallons. I have experimented with just about every kind of coolant that is recommended and Hydraulic fluid hands down produces the best shot. After shot has drained for a few hours dip it in gas for a few seconds and its clean. 2 gallons of gas can easily clean 200 lb of shot. let it dry for a few hours and load it. I am not convinced that it needs to be tumbled in graphite.
    Brandon

8. scdoug

scdoug Member

Realize that shot making is not plug and play ... it is hard heavy work ... it takes time and practice to get it right ... and you must have a steady supply of wheel weights ... soft lead will not run to true size ... cheap cement mixer for the graphite ... water soluble hydraulic fluid for cooling ... rinse with water ... this does a better job than low tox anti-freeze ... Jim Stewart's Shot Maker hands down with double drippers ... depending on the volume of Lead you want to make will determine the unit to buy ... Black Max will cost you more than his Std. unit ... Propane Fryer and cast iron pot to melt the Lead ... large muffin pans to pour the lead in for the pucks ... hope this helps

9. berettablaster

berettablaster Banned User Banned

I agree on the hydraulic fluid. wg200fr. Easy clean up with water. GAry

10. Gmangh15

Gmangh15 Member

Does the shot come out the size of the dripper? Like if the 7.5 drippers are in does the shot come out that size or is it bigger and smaller? The reason I'm asking is bc a guy I gave lead to melt for me came back anywhere from 5-9 size.

11. Sims58

Sims58 Member

I use the older Littleton shotmaker model. I use either fabric softener or laundry detergent as my solution because it's cheap and easy to rinse.

I use the #8 drippers and I would say the shot ranges between #7.5 to #8.5. I have a #8 sieve that I use to sort the large shot out. Out of a 50 lb batch, I would say I have less than 2 lbs of over-sized shot to remelt.

Like the prior post, I graphite my shot too.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's an art. By no means a plug and play. The shot maker is just a start. You best do a search as well as go to shotgun world (one thread has some 115 pages of information) and do some serious research before you start assembling your equipment, and making shot. And to answer your question all your shot has to be separated and sorted by screen size (Granger's for screen), as well as tumbled in graphite, assuming you want good shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best coolant for lead shot making

lead shot tumbler

sorting lead shot

will tumbeling make lead shot round