1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shotmaking question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hillshooter, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillshooter

hillshooter TS Member

how well do spent pistol bullets work for making shot. my neighbor brought me about 400lbs of them that he picked up at the range and give them to me. do I need to mix them with wheelweights or just clean them and use them the way they are. any help would be appreciated, thanks
    hillshooter

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

They will work fine. If they are mostly jacket bullets, the alloy inside of them is pretty soft. If they are regular lead bullets, the antimony content is usually high enough to make nice hard shot. Melt them inot ingots and go to town.

Jeff

3. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Try to get wheel weights if you can. Call all the scrap iron places in you area and some just outside the area. That is how I get my weights.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the jackets will sell for brass price not copper but it is still good just run a magnet over to get steel out dont have to add WW it works fine and you dont need any flux rick

5. hillshooter

hillshooter TS Member

thanks for the info. all of the bullets are lead slugs, no copper jakets so i will just melt them down into ingots. one other question i have is when i melt down wheelweights, after i scoop out the steel clips and get out all of the dross and have clean lead, i have a film form on top of the lead. i dont think that it is more crap from out of the lead, i dont know if i have the lead too hot, or something else. i am using a turkey cooker with a cast iron dutch oven to melt the lead (dont worry it is well marked to not use for cooking), as far as flux i have beeswax that i use. i have tried not fluxing and still get the same film on top of the lead in the pot. i am not sure that it is anything to worry about but any info would be appreciated. i have not gotten my shotmaker yet but i have a stewart shotmaker in my sights, right now i am just melting down the weights that i have, about 3000lbs into ingots so i just want to make sure that i am doing things right. any other tips from you experienced shotmakers would help. (i have done a search on shotmaking and all the stuff was great just looking for anything new) thanks hillshooter

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the film is normal oxidation from the contact with air rick

7. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like to use a 50/50 mix of indoor range lead/wheelweights,makes my wheel weights last longer,and also takes the surface tension down on your mix,witch will give you a better size on your shot,i found that strait w.w.was dripping larger from my better shot maker(between a 6&7 size),after mixing with range lead it was dropping the shot the rite size(7.5),i know you will also have hard cast bullets in your mix of range lead, ,you may want to try a run as is,just make shure you get it very clean before you start,if it smokes the targets,shoot it,mark

8. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.