1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaking question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Are any of you shotmakers using the square stick on type lead tire weights? Adhesive type, any problem making shot with these?

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I have melted them in with my lead and skimmed off the crap and made shot with it. Pretty much anything that melts and gets made into ingots has gone in my shot. So far it has gotten he a 194x200 at Bradford Zippo shoot to win C class champ this year, my other half won NY High Lady singles champ with a 193x200 and on to the Grand American to shoot a 99x100. Sometimes I see slight discoloration in the shot, in which I will dry it and rerun it and skim the pot and its always been good.

I have seen others on here claim to have made pure Zinc shot and say it shoots fine. But at 16yrds you wont see a big difference Lead is slightly heavier and will hold its energy slightly longer for caps.

All I can say is it may be something you will have to try on your own, the only troubles I have ever had with the Stewart Machine is my own fault not getting my stuff clean enough but a rerun fixes that as well.

Jerry Lewis

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The stick-on weights contain Zinc.

Because of how it alloys with the lead it can cause havoc with your shot maker. First, it tends to LOWER the melting point of the alloy (lead 621, zinc 921, alloys as low as 450, and even lower is possible). It also appears to have an effect on the viscosity of the alloy which makes it run poorly through the shot maker (this may be a function of the lowered melting point - I am not sure).

Simple test is as you melt your lead if you get a "rainbow" of color on the dross forming on the surface you most likely have zinc present.

If you do a search here 'Chipmaker' built his own shot making machine where he pre-melts the lead and has the melted product run into his shotmaker. I suspect that with the temperature raised high enough BEFORE it enters the shot maker that zinc alloys would be fine for shot making.

4. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i save the strip weights for black powder bullets,or fishing sinkers,have run into problems when trying to use it in my shotmaker.mark

5. plinker611

plinker611 Member

also true about the rainbow colors that hslds stated,a good indicator,i also sort out all mc-zn weights as they will screw up a pot of lead too.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

As Plinker611 says, a good use for these weights is sinkers.

I bought a set of molds on ebay for about $25 - I can cast split shot for fly fishing and on up to 16 ounces.

For bullets you need to be a bit more careful with your alloys, but I am thinking modern pistol, not black powder, so I would defer to Plinker on this one.

7. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i also like to pre heat my ingots,can set out 150-200 lbs on my woodburner,they average 200+ degrees before putting into ladel.keeps the shotmaker singing.cant wait till fall to start running shot,mark

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I use electric skillet

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I now use all my stick on wheel weights. I blend 30 % antimony 70 % lead bars. I do a 1 to 10 ratio, giving me approx 3 % antimony. I have made over 300 lbs of shot using stick on weights, and plan to do more. http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm 10tenner

10. shot410ga

10 Tenner, where do you get the antimony?

11. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

roto metals, I provided the link above. I buy enough to defer the shipping, anything over 99.00 is free shipping. The ingots come in 4-5 lbs, so you would need a pot to hold 40-50lbs of stick on weights and + 4-5 lbs antimony ingots. I plan on cutting the ingots in half this go around. 10tenner

12. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i use 2- 8 qt cast iron dutch ovens,got the cheap ones from harbor freight,$22 ea.can get 175 lbs per run,have a camp chef stove(dicks sporting goods) with 2 30k burners,and its built on a nice tube frame waist high.mark

13. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Looks as though you have some good, useful info Jim.

See you in the morning at Styx River,

Doc

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

10tenner

You say you use a 40-50 lb pot with 4-5 lb ingots of antimony, so I am guessing you are mixing 10% antimony to pure lead, or stick-on weights? Is the ratio the same for pure lead?

Since the ingots are only 30% antimony, and you are mixing with soft shot, what hardness do you figure you are coming up in a finished product.

My small mind won't allow for this calculation!!!(LOL)

I have some I want to harden up, but want to get it right the first time if possible.

Danny

15. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

mix what ever way you want I mix a hand full of stick ons with regular weights without any problems. I dont get 100% round shot all the time but I have yet to have target comlain it got broke by less then perfect.

I emailed Mr. Stewart 2 times about putting a complete system together with diagrams to put it all together,due to shipping cost he said no.

There is no real exact science to this mess its basic that you start out with what the "Manual" says then you just have to tweek it to what you got to make it work. Some of us have metal shops to get things made to suit us and others use 50cal cans and what ever else can be used.

What works for me may not work for you, but your welcome to try it!! Cant worry about totally perfect shot or everybody would demand I sell it to them(they do already) Just have to consider it a hobby and self satisfaction!! I have won the Zippo C class champion 194/200 with it, my other half has won NYS High Lady champion 193/200 and on to the GRAND and had 99/100 in the Champion of Champion event.

All that said, if I can run 194 and she a 193 and 99..... Its coming out just fine and I enjoy it, loseing sleep over Oh I dont have perfection will take the fun out of it and make it a chore.

Just go with it and have a lil fun with it whats worst that happen you rinse dry and throw it back in the shotmaker and redo no loss. The biggest hugest thing is I have found with the ton plus I have made is every time I go to make it, there is always a new varible and ya have to tweek it again.

I may start a new thread and do a home made shot sample swap with others to see how theirs looks.

Jerry Lewis

16. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I too have tried a few (maybe around 5% toal in the mix) flats mixed in with good weights and found it to be a problem. It slows down the drippers, sometimes to a stop. I have had to stop and clean drippers a time or two. I melt 150# at a time and use a Black Max. I do not know what the tem runs. It has been my experience that good melt makes good shot. I am keeping the flats and anything else suspicious aside now and when I get a bunch saved up, I'll figure out something to do with it.

To date I have run about 7,000# of shot

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Jim, does the clearing/cleaning tool that came with a Stewart shotmaker help to clear the drippers? I went to Stewart's home and watched the shotmakers in action and saw him use the rod to clear/clean drippers and it worked well when he used it. It was probably a different problem though. Jackie B.

18. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

"10tenner

You say you use a 40-50 lb pot with 4-5 lb ingots of antimony, so I am guessing you are mixing 10% antimony to pure lead, or stick-on weights? Is the ratio the same for pure lead?

Since the ingots are only 30% antimony, and you are mixing with soft shot, what hardness do you figure you are coming up in a finished product.

My small mind won't allow for this calculation!!!(LOL)

I have some I want to harden up, but want to get it right the first time if possible.

Danny "

I wanted approximately 3 % antimony. The Better shot maker is designed for wheel weights, from the link above:

"The Base Metals. All clip-on wheel weight (CWW) recipes and percentages used in these recipes are based on the assumption that CWW has 2% Sb and 0.5% Sn plus a trace of arsenic (As). Additional tin in the below recipes added as pure bar tin. My batch of CWW (several batches blended together for a single uniform batch) with 2% Sn added tests 11-12 BHN.

All stick-on (tape weights) (SWW) recipes and percentages used in these recipes are based on the assumption that SWW has 0% Sb and 0.5% Sn. SWW has no arsenic (As), it will HT with Sb added (Pb/Sb alloy) but not to the same extent as an Pb/Sb/As alloy. Additional tin in the below recipes added as pure bar tin. My batch of SWW (several batches blended together for a uniform single batch) tests 6 BHN."

For every 10 lbs stick on weights I add 1 lb of 70% lead 30 % antimony, giving a close 1 to 10 ratio. 4-5 lb 70 % lead 30 % antimony ingot X 10 lbs stick on weight = 40 - 50 lbs of stick on weights. This gives me approx 3 % antimony lead shot. Now or those who do not make shot 3% antimony shot quenched makes hard shot being heat treated by dropping into coolant. 10Tenner

19. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Thanks tenner, I have made several tons of "good" shot myself, but did not use the stick-on, or large truck weights as per Jim Stewart's instructions.

I have some of those outlaw weights saved back, along with pure lead of mine and some belonging to others, and we want to try a respectable recipe to harden it, and not waste it.

I didn't stop to think about the fact that it may harden when quenched in coolant!! Guess I need to think more, and talk less! (LOL)

Busti----My shot doesn't come out perfect either, so I shoot what I make, and re-cycle the clunkers(usually about 1 lb per hundred)

Danny

20. shot410ga

When you use this recipe do you get the brown/gold/purple (rainbow effect) glaze in your pot? It seems when using any flats the glaze occurs and the pot is ruined. I don't see how antimony would change that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead shotmaking with tin in my lead