1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shotmaking--question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In one of my batches of lead, I melted, I found a lot of purple colored crystals in the pot, after it cooled. Is that a sign of to much Zinc or Tin? I separated the batch of ingots and will trash them if that the case. Does anyone know what the purple color means?

2. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Never had a purple cystal, but in my experience, when a purple film is on top of the melted lead it must have alittle babitt in it, I may be wrong, a little may not hurt, but to much is a killer on your nozzles, Chuck

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you said a batch?? do you KNOW what it is from or did you buy {wheel weight} ingots. Note one thing ww can be anything that melts. They dont care what is in mix and they didnt lie. It is hard to find WW now and about half will have truck[big and babbit] or zinc. zinc will mess up drippers fast.
    About 10 states ban lead now In April 2011 it is banned us wide that is what is posted on a WW manufacture site.
    get while you can but would buy raw if you can find them
    one other thing pure lead will form a blue scum if you run temp to hot if you drop temp to 500 or below it dont show as bad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.