1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaking lead fume, just how bad.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sitsinhedges, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sitsinhedges

Sitsinhedges TS Member

I understand that from about 1000'F lead will produce a tasteless odourless invisible toxic gas in increasing quantities up until its boiling point of nearly three times that temperature.
    Being from England as I am, with a worse wheel weight scarcity problem than you guys, mixing our own antimony sees to be the only real answer at some point.

Antimony melts at around 1160'F so in alloying it with lead which melts at around 650F it would mean raising the temp of the lead for a short time to 1160'F and a little bit more.

I want to get an idea of just how dangerous it is. If it is done outside on a windy day in a largely closed vessel that is only opened briefly to mix the two melted elements together then reclosed until the temp is back below the 1000F danger point, all done with a P3 cup mask worn that is suitable for metal fume, would this be safe?
    How would you know if there was fumes about or if you'd taken a hit of the stuff? Is a lungful enough to do real damage and is there any treatment that can be applied if you do inadvertently breathe the stuff in.

Just looking for some solid advice cos all I seem to be able to pick up right now is that lead fumes are bad.
    Mixing my own seems the only real option now but I don't want to harm myself.

Thanks
    Andy

2. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Just watch for a blue line in your gums. If you see it, run-don't walk to your nearest hospital that is a teaching institute.
    JJJ

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Andy -

I have performed this opoeration in the past and you need 3 things to do this safely.

#1 You need to be in a well ventilated area like outdoors and upwind from the pot.

#2. See #1

#3 See #'s 1 and 2.

If you can get pulverized antimony it is easier to work with than chunks from my personal experience.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.