1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaking: Ingot Making *PICS*

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Haven't yet seen anyone do a thing on ingot making with pictures, so we figured we'd be the ones to do it. We spent a good 2 hours today, melting and pouring lead ingots for shot.

First it started out getting everything set up, it's pretty simple; turkey fryer for our heat, old cast iron pot for containment, and 2 non-stick muffin tins sitting atop a "heat sink".<BR><BR>
    [​IMG]
    <BR><BR>
    Then to skim the molten lead, we have a 98 cent slotted spoon from wal-mart, and to pour our ingots, we are using an old ladel that is no longer used.<br><br>Then we started melting, starts out slow, but gets faster as everything gets warmed up. Here's a picture of molten lead with wheel weights in the process of melting.<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    Then, after everything has melted, the clips float to the top and look something like this:<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    And after a couple of batches of melting, the clips begin to add up and by the time we were done, we had this:<br><br>
    [​IMG]
    <br><br>
    Then we flux and are ready to start ladeling it out, with one full ladel we can fill 2 ingots, this is the picture of freshly poored ingots:<br><br>
    [​IMG]
    <br><br>
    And here is what one looks like after it is cured:<br><br>
    [​IMG]
    <br><br>
    And after 2 hours of going through this process over and over, we came out with just over 170 ingots:<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    We figure we have right around 350-375 pounds of lead ready for the shotmaker. Hope this helps some people on their way to making their own shot.<br><br>
    Brought to you by Jollytrapshooter (Josh) and Rifle Guy (Sawyer)

2. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

Great job on the show & tell.

3. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Garage sales are a great scource for used muffin tins.

tom

4. jalu

jalu Member

well done guys!

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Mr. Charles....Don't call yourself a "ho"...it's very degrading and may effect your shooting!! (LOL) One of these days if I can get a lead source or we mine our club I may try dropping my own shot.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jolly: nice progression of photo's, thanks for sharing.

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Well, I don't have a picture, but can describe how we do it. As someone on here suggested, we went to the plumbing section and found one of the wax rings for toilets. To flux, we just skim all of the slag off first, then cut a little bit off of the ring with a utility knife, scrape it off with the spoon, and just stir it in. As you stir, all of the other junk comes to the top, and you just pull it off. Also as we pour, we have to keep skimming it because stuff is constantly coming to the top, so it helps to have the 2 of us.

Really, our wheel weights weren't the cleanest, a lot of them had a lot of grease or dirt or something on them and the clips were getting rusty, I think it's just good to get all of the slag off that you can, and flux it good. Thanks for the responses guys! Josh

8. ansvel

ansvel Member

2 Jollytrapshooter

Sir,
    What do you use for fluxing?
    Can I use a candle wax?
    Thanks.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

CFandle was will work

Don

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Ajax, we considered doing that, but weren't sure if anyone would take clips with all of the slag and junk that came off of the wheel weights on them. Suppose we could at least try. Might offset some of the cost. Josh

11. MrMoeTN

MrMoeTN TS Member

did you spray the muffin pans with anything to help release the ingots after cooling? You mentioned a heat sink, was your heat sink simply the piece of steel that the pans are sitting on in the pic? Thanks! Great post.

12. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

MrMoeTN, believe it or not, cheap non-stick muffin tins work perfect with out spraying anything in them, just wait for them to cure and they fall right out. We made a trip to Wal-Mart and bought the 2 muffin tins for $4 each. Yes, the big piece of steel you see in the pictures is our heat sink, I'll take a better picture of it and post it so everyone can see the whole thing. It's amazing how the "heat sink" speeds up the curing process. Just to see the difference, we left one pan on the concrete and put one on the heat sink, the one on the heat sink was fully cured in about 5-8 minutes and the one on the concrete took about 10-12 minutes, so it helped speed up the process quite a bit. Glad to help anyone with questions. Josh

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

With the two of us doing everything, we could pour the melted lead, and after it's poured, we'd add more weights and wait for them to melt. By the time the new batch was melted, I would dump the ingots out and be stacking them while he would be pulling clips off, and getting ready to flux and pour. We could to an entire batch start to finish in about 15 minutes. Josh

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Wow! Impressive job.

WW

15. Twixter

Twixter Member

Josh:

Nice job. Thanks for all the pictures. Explains the process very well,

My question is; Do the wheel weights alone produce hard enough lead. Or how would you make it harder especially for handicap shells.

Thanks Mick.

16. himark

himark Well-Known Member

did you calculate the amount of weight loss due to clips and skimming?

17. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

Here are the weights..

Ingots- 350 lbs

Bad weights (stickyback, big truck)- 20 lbs

Valve stems,cigarette butts, and etc- 8 lbs

clips and slag- 55 lbs.

total: 433 lbs

for a good lead to unsorted from tire shop factor at approx: .808

about 8 lbs of lead in 10lbs of weights not to bad.

Sawyer

18. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Twixter, from what I have heard, just plain wheel weights work for any shot. I think the amount of antimony in the wheel weights is just about the same as factory shot, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone with a little more experience can explain? Josh

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Wheel weights make great shot. When we used to make shot wheel weights were the only thing we would use as anything else was just to soft. If you already shoot cheap shot then just get old lead pipe, scuba weights, pugs, x-ray lead, old fishing anchors, anything will work if you are shooting cheap shot when you buy your own shot. If you buy your own cheap shot and get into making your own shot and use nothing but wheel weights you may find that your shot ( Homemade) is better then the cheap shot you have been using. I would put our home made 8 1/2's up against any shot except Westcoast. Wheelweights make good hard shot. Jeff

20. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

As a bullet caster I can tell you the Brinnell hardness of pure lead is 5 and wheelweights are about 9 when air cooled. The antimony levels of wheel weights arent equal to magnum shot 5 to 6% but are in the range of 1 to 2% for some alloys and 0.4% for others. But here's where you get the hardness; when quenched, they can go up to 15. This hardness can age out leaving softer BHN 9 but it would take a year to happen if I remember right.

I always used paraffin as flux and tossed in a match for auto ignition. The flame heats the metal further and eliminates the smoke you get with bees wax which doesnt like to burn as readily.

It also gets a cleaner skim allowing the other metals to stay dissolved instead of getting skimmed. I also keep about half a pot of melt between pours to help melt the weighs faster by submersion. My ingot mould set in a pan of water for cooling. You can spill lead into water safely but never have a setup where water can spill into the melt. It causes a large steam explosion and splatters lead all over usually resulting in burns.

best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

making shot from ingots