1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaking --Fluxing with Bees Wax

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Mc, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

About how much Bees Wax is needed when Fluxing ? -- and in what Stores can you find the Wax ? -- Thanks Doug

2. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have a large cat iron pot. I use a 1"x 1" square piece of wax.

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Hobby Lobby.

Buz

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Parafin works too. So does sawdust, but must be untreated to avoid noxious fumes. White pine is preferable

Buz

5. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Guy's, I'm thinking about getting into making my own shot. What is the need for Bee's Wax? Anything else you can tell me about making my own shot would be greatly appreciated.

Bob M.

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

If you can't find bee's wax just use canning wax. You can find it in any grocery store or feed and seed store.

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Bob, the beeswax/parafin/canning was/sawdust is the final cleaning step to get the impurities out of your lead alloy. Heat the lead just hot enough to melt it, stir it and allow dross to rise to the top and skim it off. Keep repeating that process until it looks pretty clean then put in the agent, stir and skim again. Getting the lead really clean will save you a lot of grief.

Buz

8. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like to use frankford arsenal's clean cast,flux compound,available at midwayusa.com,always does a good job for me weather im making shot or casting bullets,mark

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

A flux will assist the different metals in "lead" to fuse together. One way a flux will work it to melt and produce a gas heavier than air that will form a thin layer over the metal and prevent oxygen from getting into the molten liquid.

Pat Ireland

10. 333t

333t Member

I used to flux occasionally with bees wax but couldn't really see any difference if I used it or not. So I gave up using flux for shot making entirely and things work fine. I do skim off the dirt and dross on the surface. I think flux is more important for casting bullets where you are trying to fill a mold perfectly.

Phil

11. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Pat Ireland is correct in that the flux will assist the different metals in lead to fuse together.

I prefer Crisco Shorting as a flux to drive the Tin back into the lead, stirring it into the hot lead, it will help remove the trash and keep most of the Tin from being skimmed off the surface.

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

have not heard of the Crisco will have to try that one rick

13. sum-rifle

sum-rifle TS Member

I thought I was fluxing properly but maybe not. I have used candle wax and crayons as well as sawdust. It always flames. I stir and then skim the stuff off the top.

I guess I should lower the temp and try to get it to not flame up.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.