1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaking 101

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ellen, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

A simple solution to the rising price of shot is to make your own.
    The process is very simple:
    1. Secure or find a source of scrap car wheel weights (all tire shops use wheel weights, scrap yards, etc).
    2. Melt your wheel weights down into ingots of approximately 1 1/2- 1 3/4 lbs.
    3. Purchase a good shotmaking machine like the Better Shotmaker made by Jim Stewart. A single or double bowl machine will make all the shot you want. If you decide you might want to sell some of your shot to pay for your machine you might want to order double hole drippers for more production.
    4. You will need a drop tank to hold coolant for the shot to drop into. This tank should be approximately 20 inches long,10 inches deep, and 10 inches wide.
    Any combination should work as long as your depth is approximately 5-10 inches deep.
    5. Your drop tank should hold 5-10 gallons of coolant. Suggested coolants are:
    Low-Tox Antifreeze, Brake Fluid, Hydraulic Oil, Auotmatic Transmission Fluid, and the newest coolant (that we have been experimenting with and had marvelous results with) is R-Way Crop Oil in CONCENTRATE(found at most farmer co-op stores, Farm & Fleet, Tractor Supply, etc). This crop oil DOES NOT need to be diluted or mixed with anything and is water soluble so its washes off with plain water.
    6. Depending on the type of coolant you use will determine what you need to clean off the shot with.
    Low-Tox Antifeeze - wash with water.
    Brake Fluid - wash with water.
    R-Way Crop Oil Concentrate- wash with water.
    Hydraulic Oil - wash with Mineral Spirits or Gasoline.
    Transmission Fluid - wash with Mineral Spitits or Gasoline.
    7. You will need to dry the shot once you wash it. You can spread the shot out on a bath towel on a sturdy table, bench, the floor, or even the tailgate of your pick-up truck. Any place that is flat and level where it can dry. Just use your imagination.
    8. If you want your shot to look like factory made shot you will want to graphite it. You will have to have a tumbler of some sort to do this. One teaspoonful of graphite will coat about 100lbs of shot. This is not a necessary operation as uncoated shot will shoot just as well and not harm the barrel of your gun.

This information was provided by Jim Stewart for all shooters who want to make their own shot and have fun doing it. If you would like further information about this thread please call Jim Stewart at 256-587-0107 or email him at jstewart1934@hotmail.com

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

What is R-Way Crop Oil originally intended for?

Ajax

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

4. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Ajax:
    R-Way Crop Oil is mixed with herbicides to spray the herbicide on the leaf of plant and make it stick to the leaf. That is why you can only find at your local farmers co-op or the other farm type retail stores like a Tractor Supply or Farm & Fleet.
    Ellen

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Thank you Ellen.

Ajax

6. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Ajax:
    Have you located any crop oil yet?
    Ellen

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ellen, what I would like to see is a video of jim stewart demostrating his system. I am getting close to making my own shot. It is very hard to find shot in massachusetts. I already have been making ignots. Ive got about a hundred pounds made up....and a lot to go. I will be getting about 500lbs more of wheel weights to add to the 1500lbs i have now. Come end of summer i wil be cranking out a lot more ignots. Then i will need a shot maker

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Ellen, I really haven't had time to look for it yet. I'll probably wait for my Cast Master and make a change over then. I'm looking at a continuous run system similar to Jim's.

Thanks,
    Ajax

9. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Ajax,

Are you having good luck with the better shot maker? I assume you have one?

Forrest

10. Grumpy

Grumpy TS Member

Hello Ellen I looked into the crop oil idea and the two seed supplers that I contacted said the herbicides they us has a cling agent already blended with the herbicide when its made at the chemical company. They used a corn oil consentrate years ago that was diluted with water but is no longer available.
    I checked with the Shell Oil distributer in this area for Met Safe water soluble hyd. oil----they could not find anything some one posted on this site a military spec number I will have to do a search and go that way.
    I have not started dropping shot yet, still building and collecting. Thanks for your help say hello to James.Have a great day. Wayne

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Forrest, I have Littleton shotmakers. Some ladles designed by Littleton and some by Taylor. They are all the old models,not the model that Burgess sells now. I haven't had the opportunity to try a cast iron ladle, which Stewart has.

Wayne, the old Shell number was Metsafe FR200. I haven't use it for years. It made good shot but was more messy than I wanted to deal with.

Ajax

12. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Try this to locate source for R-Way Crop Oil.

http://www.rosens.com/Rosens/default.aspx?p=warehouse

13. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Sorry fellas I have been away from my computer a few days.
    Mr. Stewart does not make a complete set up. It could be cost prohibitive to ship when you can find your own drop tank (30-50 mm ammo can, metal bucket,etc.
    He will provide pictures of his personal unit if you email him at jstewart1934@hotmail.com

As you can see from other videos already posted, the complete set up can be as simple or as sophiscated as you want. A little imagination goes a long way with some people.

To Melt Ingots:
    all you need is a propane burner and a cast iron dutch oven pot. I have heard that the aluminum turkey cookers eventually burn through on the bottom but you can start with one and then change over if you like. Any type of muffin pan will do.

Wayne: good to hear from you and I hope you are up and running soon. Let Jim know how its going. You may have a bigger problem finding Crop Oil Concentrate than over here.

For all enjoying their shotmaking experience I wish you Happy Shooting too!
    Ellen

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Look for an old pressure cooker and use the bottom of it. Thick Aluminum, not the thin Turkey cooker kind. An old Guardian Service pot would be great, but not so easy to find any more.

Ajax

15. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

16. Sargentyork

Sargentyork TS Member

I have a source for some wheel weights and even more Plumbers lead Can you use this plumbers lead mixed with the wheel weights will it be hard enough. If not what can you do to harden it? Or is it just to soft to use? Thanks Sgt York

17. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

go 50-50 and youll be ok,mark

18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you are referring to the lead the plumbers use to caulk the cast iron joints with oakum. Strips or Lead wool. The lead would normally be soft and should be mixed. 50/50 is a good mix.

If you are referring to lead that actual pipe is made out of. It's normally has 6% antimony in it and should not be diluted. Clean it well and it will run just fine. Nice hard shot.

Ajax

19. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the crop oil you want is a PLAIN oil DO NOT get the one with insectcides in it farm supply stores Southern States Tractor Supply and grain supply places best bet hardness is not important factory shot is softer than wheel weight shot you want the wheel weights for the arsnic to make the shot round on the short drop but if you want a hardness tester Lee has a cheap one or if you want to spend $100 saeco has a very good one rick

20. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

If you are going to use crop oil it must be the concentrate, nothing mixed in with it.
    Ellen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.