1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaking 101!?!?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootintom, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

Ok - himark stated in "Weekend Shot Making!" "We have also found you can get your lead too hot and that will cause the "popcorn" Its fun to read your comments because we went down the same road years back...glad to see you are getting it ironed out."

Well the idea here is to put down in one thread what everyone out there making shot has found to be the basic rules for shotmaking! I for one hate reinventing the wheel. I was agonizing over getting my coolant too hot and was looking for a radiator of some sort to keep the temp down when I was making shot and seeing it get pretty nice at around 120+ degrees! My system seems to stabilize at around 124 degrees.

So come on, let's see those tried and true methods so I can start keeping track.

What I've found:

100% Antifreeze = somewhat expensive but easy cleanup
    Best temp range 120 - 125
    Pay attention to jim101!

Thanks

Tom

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Let's clear that coolant issue up: 100% low-tox antifreeze, with a pint of liquid soap. For minimum clean-up. Keep at approximately 125 degrees.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have not seen any "low Tox" anti freeze since walmart and autozone stopped stocking sierra brand antifreeze. I will be looking for some more coolant to use as my system will be growing. I have 5g of Sierra and it is working great in my small set up. I plan on needing about 12-15 gallons in my new set up.

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

You guys have me wondering. I have been making shot for about 4 years now and after about 60-75 pounds I stop because my coolant (100% anti-freeze) is over 105 degrees. I only have a small catch basin and my tank is only about 6 gallons. Once it aproaches 3/4 of a basket then I have the danger of clinker forming. I cant complain with the quality of beads I get from now current methold. My theory is if its not broke dont fix it but hey-, if their is a better way, maybe I should try it. We all know how frustrating it can be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.