1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOTMAKERS Single / Double Drippers ?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by powder-em, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powder-em

powder-em Member

A little confused, do some of the drippers available drip two streams? Meaning say seven nozels dripping fourteen streams. If this is so I guess you would double your output. Will the heating elements keep enough lead ahead?
    Also how complicated are these drippers, can a machine shop make them??? I don't think this is brain surgery here, these machines should be able to be made as good or even better than what is available. Propane units might be easier to regulate heat. Comments Please. All Good Dave

PS Scott you seem to be the resident shot maker, nice pics and vids please comment.

2. powder-em

powder-em Member

Thanks Ajax. Could you give me a email address or phone number I would like to ask some questions. Any way you could post pics or email me pics of the header system? I am looking to shorten my learning curve. Thanks Dave

3. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I to would like that info if you could. Thanks.

4. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Ajax:

Is the diameter of the hole in the dripper the same as the diameter of a given size of shot, i.e. #8 =.090"? Thanks

Rem31TC

5. powder-em

powder-em Member

Ajax has gone stelth.

6. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Rem31TC, I can tell you that the size of the hole would bugle the mind. I have two size drippers, both #8and #9. They are extremely small in diameter. It amazes me how lead, atho molten, can squeeze thru this hole

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Rem31tc, The holes in the drippers are quite small. A #75 drill bit just fits in the #8 drippers. I think that's about .021 in diameter.

Jim

8. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Thanks Jim101 & Shootrman

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Jim<br>
    If you have #8 drippers, are they pretty close to factory 8 sized lead? Some people have stated that wheel weights drip a little smaller than the stated size. I have to go to bed now. We have 425 shooters at our local high school shoot tomorrow. We should be able to keep busy all day. ROFL

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Yes the drippers do drop close to the stated size, How ever there is a number of things that can affect the shot size. Lead level in the ladel, lead temp, Air temp that's cool enough to cool the front of the ladel and runoff lip.

Jim

11. JRD

JRD TS Member

Are you using straight wheel weight lead to cast your shot? Or do you add tin or any other hardner?

12. scott k

scott k TS Member

ok you buy 4x4 truck and get stuck in the mud. you buy bigger tires, but thay won't clear the fenders, you buy a lift kit and get the tires on. now the engine is to weak so you put in a big v8. then twist off a drive shaft.aand on and on it goes. there was nothing wrong with the truck when you bought it but look at the time and money you spent on it and it got you nowhere.

if it's not broke don't fix it.

you can do the same thing with a shot maker if you want, or your shotgun. you can reinvent the wheel if you want to, i have better things to spend my time on.
    if i needed to make shot faster i would buy and set up a 2nd shot maker.

if it's not broke don't fix it

later scott

13. powder-em

powder-em Member

Ajax, is there any way we can talk on the phone? I'm interested in the header system you talk about. Could you email pics? Or just email me your phone number. As I said above I'm trying to shorten my learning curve.

scott k, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, as the first wheel probably worked just fine, it is nowhere like the wheels we use today. Just trying to invest my money in the equipment for the long haul. And I do think it would't be to hard to make some improvements to the curent shotmakers. Regulated temperature control with enough heat to maintain a constant temp comes to mind and shoulden't be very hard to add. Also propane heat with the proper burner BTU's might make a better heat source, Not trying to discredit anyones product just gathering info. In the end if all points to bying a curent production model that is what I will do. But I will have gathered all the info I needed prior. Thanks guys. All Good Dave

14. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Ajax, what state are you in?

15. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

What drill bit do I need for shot size 4, 5, 6?

16. tbuster

tbuster Member

Can anyone out there put me on to someone who is doing shot mining and interested in doing the smaller clubs. I am interested in finding out and to also learn what the split is these days. Writing from NE Wyoming.

17. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Washington state. Well that killed a day trip to see your shot making set up. Hope you talk to your friend soon. I would like to know what drill bits to use.

18. powder-em

powder-em Member

19. scott k

scott k TS Member

insted of looking at how fast you can make shot, look at how mutch lead you can get. i haven't found any for a month, and i thought i had an endless supply before i started. single drippers are all i need.

later scott

20. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

single or double dripper for shot making