1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmakers--Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lately I've been getting little popcorn bubbles on my shot and elongated shot. Some of the shot have little tails. Nothing different on my part. I use a Steward shotmaker, and the coolant is anti-freeze and liquid laundry detergent. This stuff is really ugly, not even close to round. Any ideas as to what is wrong, and a fix?

2. plinker611

plinker611 Member

what are you useing on the lip?i use welders chalk(lime stone),and sidewalk chalk,tried jims red stuff,but found the chalk is easyer to apply on the fly;havent found a brush that will hold up to the heat,and melted bristles on your lip not a good thing. keep edge of lip free of buildup(wont be alot will look like a speck of silver on very edge)to take care of tails
    another tip i got from ajax last time this issue was brought up,level of ladel,i raised the back of the shotmaker the last 2 times i ran and shot became rounder,and dimples cleared up,no more than 1/8 inch at a time,gives the shot less time on lip,and lets the fall through your coolant work for you.
    start changes slow, and keep track of results,ive run over 5 ton of shot in 5 years,and i learn somthing new each run,mark

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

You say nothing has changed. Are you using a new batch of lead? If the maker is as it was, then metal composition must be the difference. Too soft will definitely make the shot do as you suggest. When all else fails---or before anything else fails---call Jim! He is great!

4. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with Jim Porter. I think your lead is too soft.

5. shot410ga

The lead is used wheel weights, same as before. I'll try the chalk and lifting the rear of the shotmaker. Thanks.

6. 686

686 TS Member

I used anti-freeze and liquid laundry detergent for a while. then one thim it started doing the same thing as you are getting. it did it for the next 2 times i casted. i thimk it was mosture getting in to my coolant. i changed to dot-type3 brake fluid. every thing works now.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you have tails, they are normally formed before it hits the coolant. It sounds like you have to much Tin in the batch. Tin does not release and drags out the drippers and off the lip causing the tear drops to form.

The pop-corning is a indication the coolant is to thin.

Ajax

8. shot410ga

What about crop oil? Does it wash off easily? Popcorn is the big problem. Really ugly shot....

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

ding ding ding...Ajax nailed it! Only after painful hours of practice can you perfect HMS..and even then it will be onto a new hurdle of some kind. Seems the WW are changing, supply of lead is a guessing game and it throws you off. I have found to mix unknown lead with known lead in moderate proportions. Does it help??? who knows, but I know I dont battle those problems anymore so it must.

10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

One other thing. If the dripper has any lead on it around the hole, it will grab and cause tear drops also.

Ajax

11. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I find I get popcorn if the lead in the ladel get too hot and or coolant is too cool.

There is a shot makers thread here somewhere.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.