1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmakers...Pump going bad frequently!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by himark, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have a continuous run system and am using the pump from home depot that others have suggested. Problem is it will start to trip the thermal overload switch around 5 hours of running and a coolant temp of 130. Is there another brand of submersible pump that can handle this better? They are getting tired of me trading in my "defective" pump at home depot every few weeks.

2. beak111

beak111 TS Member

I went to a procon pump, check ebay for them. I had to buy the motor and pump seperate which ended up costing somewhere between 50 and 75 dollars but this was the cheapest way and will solve your problem.

3. sasquach

sasquach Member

How does your pump attach to the motor? I bought a pump on e-bay and it has an imput shaft that is flat on two sides and I can think of no easy way to hook a motor to it. Do all procon pumps have this kind of shaft or are some of them round?

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Himark, I've had a bit of the same problem recently. The ones I got at Lowes were having the same problem. Seems they changed suppliers. I found another little giant magnetic drive pump and so far so good. I'm going to try a bypass system to control the tank level and help take some of the load off the pump. It will be installed after the cooler in the line going to the drop tank.

Jim

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Buy a Procon as stated above. It is an industial pump which is what you should be using for a shotmaking application. I have enough capacity with mine to run a loop through a cooler without starving the main tank. Spend th e extramoney and you will be glad you did.

Jeff

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Get the pump outside of the coolant and use an industrial unit. I put mine after the in-line cooler and not on the suction side of the tank. Grainger's has a few that might work for you. Their catalog is online at www.grainger.com. I used a hot water circulating pump years ago. I think it was from Bell & Gossett and cost me around $60 way back when. They were designed to run at slightly higher temps. If you are using a water based coolant, these might work for you. You could always do some surgery to a submersible in the way of replacing the thermal fuse with a higher temp, but I'd recommend against that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.