1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOTMAKERS lead tested?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

As many of us have turned to makeing our own shot and have made our own bullets, whos been tested for lead levels? I have been messing with my shot maker for months now to get a nice product. As of lately tho my other half has been worried as she wants me around.

How many are wearing gloves when they handle wheel weights ingots and shot? I do.

How many wear a respirator while making ingots and shot? I do.

How many realized the lead fumes can be absorbed threw your pours?

Just touching it isnt the only way.

I am getting my level checked soon, but may have to lay off for a long while.

Shoot well shoot often Have fun be safe!!

Jerry Lewis

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I wear a respirator and gloves when I'm smelting the wheel weights. But, I don't wear them when just the shotmaker is running. I also, do everything outside.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I don't wear a respirator and smelt my alloy outside. The shotmaker is inside and I run it without gloves and a respirator.

I have had my blood tested every year for the last 6 years with normal Lead level results.

Jim

4. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

From what I have been told Lead doesn't give off toxic fumes until it reaches 1100 F ... I do my Shotmaking in my garage ... all windows and doors are open ... I do it at the front by the over head doors ... careful that I don't get my hands near my eyes or mouth ... scrub my hands and arms ... just try to use common sense ... don't know if totally right ... I am not doing this everyday ... just when I get enough Lead stocked up to mess with ... I have quite selling it ... Lead in my area is hard to find without paying top dollar for it ... my Shotmaking is for family use

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I make mine in the garage with the double doors open. Move mey setup at the front of the double doors. Also do my smelting outside. You have to get lead over 1000 degrees before the fumes are harmful. However its just common sense you don't stand in front of the fumes and breath them in.
    As long as you got some moving fresh air that would be enough.

The smelters and salvage yards have been buying up the lead hoping that China
    will start buying lead again. Not going to happen. China wants to come over here and build factories. I guess they see alot of cheap labor from the illeagels spilling over the boarder. Wild Bill

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

When I used to cast I used a dual cartridge respirator with the correct cartridges for lead fumes. Gloves, long sleeve shirt, jeans, socks and shoes where a given as a lead splatter can give a bad burn. I had my blood tested once a year for Pb. Never had an issue with blood levels.

I never wore gloves to handle ingots or bullets that had cooled off.

Don Verna

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have my melting outside with a wind skirt around the burner. I stand up wind at all times. Just watch the mist from the lead pot. Oil and dirt burning off. I will then adjust the location of the molds to the smelter and wind.

Heavy duty gloves and eye glasses at all times. Large brim hat is also a good idea. Heavy duty pants and long sleeve shirt or a coat you don't care about. NO NYLON the lead will burn right through it.

As for making shot I have in the past located the shotmaker near a window with a cardboard box as a funnel with a fan at the other end blowing outside. Safety first.

I to get my blood tested for lead when I go to the doctor.

Here is the big thing about melting lead. DO NOT LET A DROP OF WATER EVER HIT THE MELTED LEAD. NO RAIN OR SWEAT EVER. It will pop and fly at you. I'M NOT KIDDING. Also no wet lead. it can also harm you if you add it to the pot. If I have wet bars of lead I will put that lead on a stove eye and or woodstove and let it dry before I add it to the pot.

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have been making shot for 15 years or more.. had my blood tested last year just for lead.. clean as a whistle!!

9. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i smelt my ingots outside,drop shot inside my heated garage,have a 400 cfm range hood 20 inches above my shotmaker,piped to the outside.and run all winter long with out a problem,and use gloves and resparator as needed,as long as you use proper safty,you shouldnt have problems,mark jones

10. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I am glad to see we are all pretty much useing common sense about it as it has become more popular.

I called scrap yard today and they are paying .60cents pre pound for lead, a guy turned in 3/4 ton today all in ingots. Wished I had been there.

Good luck to all Thanks for all the input!

Jerry Lewis

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do not eat the lead. HMB

12. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I had a different thought. I melt outside and run the shot maker inside in front of a 4 foot fan. BUT I drip into anti freeze. If antifreeze will kill a dog and I am constantly over 16 gals of the stuff at about 125 degrees, are the fumes harmful?

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Been wondering about the antifreeze fumes myself.

Jerry

14. shot410ga

Buy some Trim 206. Mix 5/1. A lot cheaper than anti-freeze, and smells good. My anti-freeze days are over.

15. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

410 where can I find the trim 206. I read some good stuff about it. Bill

16. shot410ga

Grangers or look it up on Google. There are lots of vendors.

17. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

i have a 2 mill life insurance , so the more shot I make the faster she can get a good livin finally, lol, I do use a fan to push all the smoke out of the shop while i'm melting the lead into ingots , after that it is normal ventalation,

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.