1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapdad2, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapdad2

trapdad2 Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Anyone had any luck making a shotmaker? If so what materials did you use. Thanks
  2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA
    Search for 'Chipmaker' who posts here.

He built one, and has shared videos and suppliers for parts.

I THINK this is a good link...
  3. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Mar 21, 2010

I have made my own shotmaker out of an old kitchen stove burner and controls. I welded up a pot out of plate steel and even made my own drippers. It was an educational experience. If I had it to do over again, I would buy a used setup like a littleton or the like. There are angles and dimentions that are critical and the trial and error eats up a lot of time and money before you get the bugs worked out.

Before buying or building one, I would make sure you have a supply of lead wheel weights available as they seem to work the best. If you have to buy the wheelweights keep in mind that you can only use about half to two thirds of the weights that you buy. I have found it is best to melt the lead into ingots before making the shot. While melting the lead some of the wheel weights you get will be iron or zink. The zink melts at a higher temp than the lead ones but, if you allow the zink weights to melt in with the lead, plan on throwing the whole batch out and starting over. The lead/zink alloy will stick to the ramp and drippers and make a real mess.

Good luck in whichever direction you decide to go.

If you want to PM me your phone number, I will be glad to help you with any additional information you want.

Brian (Robbie and Jake's Dad)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.