1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaker set ups

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maclellan1911, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

There has been a good amount of home made shot threads. To bad there can not be a "sticky" or Tagged thread for all things shotmakeing.

Well I will start a new thread for pictures of set ups. I have kept it really simple. I only get a hour or 2 to make shot about every 3 weeks. This set up allows me to set up,drop shot, clean shot,dry shot, graphite and run through the sorting screen in about 1.25 hours and 50lbs of finished shot. Its small compact and works for me. When I get more time I will add on to my system for keeping coolant cool and running longer for larger amount of shot dropped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's about as basic as I have seen. And since I decided to get into shotmaking, I have discovered several hundred pictures/videos of shotmakers on the Internet. These pictures show me, one doesn't have to have an elaborate system to make shot. Thanks, for the pictures.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

yes its simple, The bench is a metal table/shelve that I just turned over. Large ammo can...before I was useing the small can on the right. I run 100lbs now with out much worry of coolant getting to hot. plastic catch bin for over flow.

4. shot410ga

KISS: remember that "keep it simple, stupid."

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I updated a bit but still kept it simple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQKlv1mQzD4&feature=player_embedded

6. Quailtail

Quailtail Member

My set up is simple as well. I have problem with a couple of my drippers. They drip but slow.Shot hangs up on the lip causing globs of lead. Other drippers work fine.

What is causing this issue for those experienced at shot making?

Thanks

7. shot410ga

Try some of Stewards "Red Stuff" on the lip. it works great. I also found when the puddle cools down a few degrees as I add a ingot, I'll get some globs. When the puddle heats back up, a couple of taps with the spoon gets the flow going again.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have one dripper thats been a pain since day one, I have just let it be.
    A good coat of redstuff when the shotmaker is cold. Make sure you get the leading edge

9. shot410ga

I also have a hand held propane torch. Give the drippier a little heat then tap with a spoon. It seems at this point the smaller the shot size, the more this needs to be done.

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Did you make your own drippers? If so would you share information on the process and the materials please. dave

11. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Hi Jim,
    Can you say ingot?

Ray

12. shot410ga

No Ray. But, I can spell it, occasionally.

Dave: They are around $30 for a set at Steward's. Why waste your time trying to make them? Besides, those are some really small holes. About the size of a paper staple.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have #8 drippers, I dont know the size but my smallest welding tip cleaner just fits. I could not find drill bits anywhere near that size locally.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

What are you using for coolant? I went to Stewarts a couple of years ago and purchased a shot maker and for one reason or other, I have not used it. When I was there Jim was using crop oil but have heard so much about trying to dry and clean shot. Brake fluid is certainly messy and not real sure about crop oil. Are you using a pump to circulate the fluid? Thanks for the pictures. Jackie B.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I use undeluted anti freeze.
    Shot drops into the smaller ammo box which sits on top of a cement paver block that just happens to be the right size. The cement block also sucks up a bit of heat. I have about 6 gallons of coolant in this set up, submersable pump keeps it flowing and so far the heat stays 100-130'F

I run about 25-30lbs or 15 ignots through, thats about what the small ammo can can handle. I then turn off the shotmaker and switch out ammo cans when the shot stops flowing. As the shotmaker heats up again I can get to draining the previous batch.

Crop oil is un heard of in my area. You can find little qt bottle for 8.00
    cutting oil(used in machine shops) is not cheap around here either so its brake fluid or antifreeze.

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I just returned from the range where I shot some of Jim's reloads using his "home brew" shot and it was excellent!! No difference between his shot and my factory loads. Great way to control the price of the most expensive part of reloading. Good going Jim.

Ray

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

shot410: I assumed the hole size on the drippers was the same as the sot size. Apparently not, eh?

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

the drip hole is very small.

19. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

there are different brands of crop oil. I found two and one half gallons for fourteen dollars. My concern is how much you will lose while cleaning the shot. I remember watching Jim scooping out the shot and then setting it on top of the container to drain and he had very little loss of fluid using that method. Jackie B.

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I let my shot drain for several hours. I have made 350lbs+ of shot It looks like I am down just over a 1qt since I started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.