1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaker Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 02, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 02

02 TS Member

I am making a cart for my shotmaker. How far should the shot fall before coolant tank? The coolant I am planning on using is either liquid laundry soap or dot3 brake fluid.

2. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Coolant should be Low Tox Anti-Freeze -- Mix 6 gals to 16 oz. of liquid laundry detergent -- the shot fall should be as close as possible from the lip on the shot maker to your coolant -- 1/4 inch if you can do it

3. 02

02 TS Member

dmm how deep a tank are you using?

4. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

I am dropping into a the old style rectangular 6 Gal. Military gas can -- I cut the top out but left material on the side to attach a drain for the over flow -- I have a drain on the front side at the bottom to empty the can of coolant -- I run about 125 Lbs. max. -- usually by then I am tired of it anyway -- really don't care to stand there any longer -- the lip on my set-up tucks up and under the lip on the Shotmaker so I am about as close as I can get without getting it wet -- and it makes it handy for pouring the shot out -- I pour the shot into big strainer (restaurant supply store -- buy 2) setting on top of a 6 gal. bucket to recover the liquid that is left in the can -- about 25 lbs. at a time -- then I have another bucket with holes drilled in the bottom that I set the strainer on and wash the shot with the water hose -- let it drain -- and then pour the shot on big beach towels -- spread it out and let it dry -- from there to a cement mixer to tumble with Graphite

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Do a seach of jim101 he has a sweet set up and it is coninuous. Just pause the video at times and print out photos. No messing around with dumping into buckets to seperate shot from the antifreeze. Done making shot just turn the stuff off and walk away. Bill

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

My set up worked best with no more than 1/16 inch drop. The lead temperature and the coolant temperature could make the drop distance different for other set up. Like everything in shot making, you have to experiment and figure out what works best for you.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.