1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaker lead? .....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shootrman, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I often wondered that myself but the other question is, Is it worth it to bust up a battery and deal with the acid?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are millions of pounds of lead shot lying on the ground at local trap clubs. Why not pick up some of that? HMB

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

hmb, I can think of one very good reason, theft. If you are a member of a co-operative club and they don't care that's fine. One of the local clubs I shoot at is privately owned. I know the owner, he estimates there is a million pounds out there, and that shot is his.

4. jethro1629

jethro1629 TS Member

biff:

Having retired from Delco Remy / Delphi. Don't waste your time with battery lead, I had a chance to buy 4 tons of the stuff. Tried it in a littleton shotmaker & it plugged the orifices up. I took a sample to the engineering lab, and was told that battery lead contained SALT & ALUMINUM. Plus you will have sulphuric acid to contend with as a vapor when heated.

Hope this helps, Jim Dye

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Johnny,

Just pick up the lead that you shot. That way you won't get in trouble with the law. HMB

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

hmb, I've had those thoughts, it's my shot and I want it back.

7. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Jethro1629 is correct about battery lead. It doesn't make good shot and will gumb up your oriffices on your shotmaker. The best lead for making shot is car Wheel Weights. Jim Stewart has been making his own shot for a long time. Send me an email address and I will send you pictures of the Better Shotmaker and his set-up. You can also visit the web site at:http://www.geocities.com/jstewart1934/My_page.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.