1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaker info needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mt92, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt92

mt92 Member

I am going to start making my own shot and I have not decided if I should to make a machine or buy one. The fabrication will not be a problem, but I do not know what I need for sure. Does anyone have a good homemade setup they are willing to share info on, or should I buy one, and if so witch one is better?
    Thanks

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I'm a machinist also..30 years or so..I bought a littleton 10 years ago and have never looked back... If I had to do it over I would just buy another..all the time I would have wasted working out the bugs, I would probably have twice as much invested than if I just bit the bullet and bought new..good luck..

3. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

You should look at the "Better Shot Maker" from Jim Stewart
    www.thebettershotmaker.com. From what I've read and heard from those who make their own shot, he makes the best machine and provides Incredible support.

There are many on this site who've purchased his machines and they all rave about Jim. There are even many video posts by a guy who's got one of Jims' machines and made a tank for the anti-freeze coolant with a heat exchanger as well as all sorts of dryers, sorters and polishers for the finished shot. Do a search on older threads.

Good Luck &
    Shoot well, often and safely!
    Tom

4. mt92

mt92 Member

I have read alot of the old threads on this site and on others. I was just asking for some opinions based on personal experience.
    Thanks

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I'm a machinist and fabricator as well, bought one of Jim Stewart's machines a couple of years ago with a friend, and we're happy with it. We originally thought about building our own, but then we started looking at the cost of a heat source and the different problems we could possibly run into. We finally just decided to spend the money and buy one. And as I said, we're happy we went that route. Good luck with your shotmaking. Josh

6. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Just something to consider....unless you have a good consistent supply of Lead that you know is going to be available....think twice before you go the expense of getting into it....there is more to it then just buying a Shotmaker (And the only one to buy is Jim Stewart's)that is only the beginning....220 line to run unless you already have it....Tank, Coolant, method to make the Lead Puck's and to Graphite the Lead after you make it....the time to run it....you have to be right with it all the time to are making it....I have one of Jim's setups and don't care what anybody tells you it is a lot of time and work

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

If you really want to try it buy one....don't build one. I did it for a year and made great shot but I found it to be WAY more work than it was worth.

8. mt92

mt92 Member

Thanks alot for the info guys.

9. len loma

len loma TS Member

I was informed a few weeks ago by a fellow trap shooter and owner of a semi repair shop that lead wheel weights are being banded. He received a notification from the Feds but I do not remember what their band date was. I am sure he got his information right. Someone know what is going on with them?

10. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

Of all things.......I thought they just banded ducks and geese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.