1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaker help!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trap41, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap41

trap41 TS Member

OH OH...now you've done it.

Mark Denis,

The answer to this question and other questions regarding the making of a shotmaker from scratch will surely get you a harsh response from Jim Stewards web defense system.

Get ready for Ellen to attack.

Trappy

2. gnprts

gnprts Member

You have mail

3. trap41

trap41 TS Member

gnprts i'll take one too if youdon't mind

4. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

sounds like your in for alot of trial & error,headaches,and expense,and frustration trying to build some thing that is all ready built. i spent $600 for my complete set up(shot maker,cooling system,rinse&sorting equipment,cement mixer,),and was making shootable shot the first time out,ive made over 3000 lbs of shot since the end of march '07,and i think my shot is better than the factory shot i was paying the big bucks for,i have better breaks,(my shot is harder,and i dont have to skimp on the componets i buy),better scores(i can shoot as mutch pratice as i want, cost to shoot is free,sold 2000 lbs of the shot i made to pay for my componets & targets i get .75 cents/lb. and never have enough to sell,good luck on your venture,hope it works out for you,mark jones

5. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Trap41:
    Shame on you for thinking i would attack this fine gentleman for attempting to make his own shotmaker. I actually applaud his efforts. I'm sure his question is a legitmate one but I do have to agree with crookedplinker61 too. I hope you all have a nice day and good shooting!

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

WOW! I didn't realize the measurements I inquired about were secret!

MR

7. trap41

trap41 TS Member

Well Mark Denis,

I comprehend where Jim Stewart is coming from.

How would you like it if someone wanted to copy/steal the idea you finally perfected after 40 years of Hard work.

Ellen, I am surprised you held back.

Trappy

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you dont have to spend a lot to build a shot maker it only cost about $15.00 dollars for equipment and if you look around may get pool free here is what you do get a propane torch-- a bar of lead-- a swimming pool with water place under a cell telephone tower and climb up to top melt lead and let drip though a screen wire you have a fun time and the shot is all different sizes if you want to spend a little more you can buy your own tower or a 50 ton crain if you dont like to climb iam afraid of height so i bought a Stewart Better Shot Maker dont have to worry about weather hope this helps rick

9. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Well trap41

I doubt very seriously if Jim Stewart built the first shotmaker in the world.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

MR, I have all the info your looking for written down. The trick will be to find it. I will have a look for it and e-mail it to you. Failing to find it, Guess I can remeasure all the distances and angles. Either way I'll get you some data.

I've been thinking of expermenting with a couple of design changes, But my littleton is working so well I keep putting put it off.

Jim

11. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Thanks Jim. I know it would be much easier to buy a shotmaker and I can afford one...it is just the challenge of trying to build one from scratch.

MR

12. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Find yourself a spot where you can drop the shot at least 20 feet. Buy a set of drippers in whatever size(s) you need. Buy a square cast iron baking pan to use as a pot. Drill holes and mount drippers in pot. Heat with electric or propane. Drip into water 20 feet below. No ramp necessary. No trial and error. It works the first time. If you say yu can't afford a real one, but have the time to spend building one, you have the time to get a side job to pay for a real one. Just an observation.

Jeff

13. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

There is some pretty interesting information about homemade shotmakers here....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=14917

14. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

MR, E-mail is on the way.

Jim

15. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Jeff:

If your response was directed at me, maybe you misunderstood what I wrote. I CAN afford a new one. That is not he issue because I will end up having more money and time in a homemade one than a new one. It is the challenge of trying to build one myself then improving on it as I go along.

MR

16. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Markdenis:
    I still appaud your efforts and if you have a machinist/tool and diemaker background then you will figure out what you want to do and how you want to do it without any help from all us experts.

17. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Ther is some really good information at the website I posted.

18. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

MR -

Sorry. My bad. I read your post to quickly and thought it said "can't". Seriously though, instead of reinventing the wheel, we have made shot by dropping it out of out Stewart maching into hot water. You eliminate the washing stage of the process and increase the production rate considerably. Only problem is for the average guy to locate the 20+ foot spot to drop from. They are not as common as you might think. Most silos on old farms have no power, are unsafe or the farmer does not want you in there with something that will/can catch fire. Instead of making one from scratch, you can buy a littleton ladle by itself and build the rest or find out if you can send it back with a restocking fee. That way you have the ladle/pan in your hand when you are making your own.

Jeff

19. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Jeff:

Thanks again. I might try the 20ft drop. I have done lots of reading about this subject on this forum and others and have noticed there are a multitude of ways to make reasonably good shot.

MR

20. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Markdenis:
    Why go to all that trouble of trying to drop from 20 feet when it is much simpler to drop 1/4 inch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

screenwire shot maker