1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaker dripper hole sizes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chipmaker, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Hey all you shot makers out there What size hole is in your drippers to make 7.5 and 6 shot?

What temperature do you run your lead at with the most success?

I have built a rather large high volume shot maker and still working out the kinks.

Other points of interest are the tilted angle of the ladles bottom and then the dripper ramps angle to the ladles bottom, also the height from the bottom of the dripper to the top of dripper ramp?

When I get it all going good and design settled in I take some pictures of it and post them to TS.com

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

My set up uses bottle gas. I was using drippers that came with it that was made out of 3/8'' bolts. That seems to ge the most common. Some guys are making them out of stainless because of rust. I don't know what size the drippers are that came with it but the made shot from 7 to 7-1/2 pretty constantilly. After my buddy and I have been making shot for about 2 years and trial and error we generally got about50lbs. of shot in about 5hrs. The heat on the drippers seems harder to maintain temp. than keeping the lead at a constant temp. You can keep the lead at a constant temp. easier than keeping the drippers due to the thichness of the steel.
    What I ended up doing is making a set of drippers out of brass. Figuring it would maintain the heat quicker and easier. We used to have 11 drippers in our unit but with the new drippers made from brass we dropped back to 5 drippers becausse they ran so fast that it was hard to maintain enough lead to feed the drippers. I drilled the drippers with a # 69 drill that came out about .028 hole. The book says a 69 drill should drill a .031 but with todays standars you better check the dim. before you drill. Out shot came out a ver constant side between .o95 and .100. Good enough for us. Also it produced about 100 lbs. in 2 hrs compared to the old way of about 50 lbs. Our shot was much more constant. We use antifreeze. Tried other stuff but the anti-freeze washes off easily and is easy to control the density of the solution. If you like just pm me and I can get into more seriously. This friday I am going to try a couple more drippers. I hope we can keep the lead melting fast enough. If you like give me an email address and I can send a couple of pictures of our last run. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to make a lead shot dripper
lead shot dripper
lead shot dripper sizes
lead shot maker drippers
littleton shotmaker drippers

shot dripper hole size

shot drippers

when using a littleton shot maker easier to make in 8 shot or 5 shot