1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotmaker Coolant

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by psfive, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psfive

psfive Member

We have been using water soluble oil but the price is getting out there. I read some of you use antifreeze. Do I mix it? If so with what? What is the best concentration? Thank you in advance. Paul

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Paul, I have been using prestone low-tox antifreeze. I mix about a pint of liquid laundry soap in six gallons, No water added. It works well for me, But I've only made about 3000 lbs of shot.

I'm sure you will get several others responding with their pet recipies. Nothing is cut and dried as there's many different solutions that work.

Jim

3. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

Just use brake fluid you dont have to mess with mixing and it is 9.97 a gal at walmart.

4. shooterchick

shooterchick TS Member

use All Clear laundry soap. no more then 10% water. it makes perfect shot and cleans nice. thats all we use.

5. psfive

psfive Member

What cleans the brake off the shot? Does water work? Paul

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

jim doesnt most antifreeze tend to evaporate some that would make it thicker?other thing water and molten lead dont mix [bang] how do you remelt the "buggers" ? rick

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Rick, I haven't seen a problem with evaporation and thickening. I do not add any water to my coolant. I just screen out the buggars and remelt next time I make ingots.

Jim

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

jim i know that if you drain antifreeze and leave out it tends to evaporate or that is why the cats die rick

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Rick the prestone low-tox stuff is propelene glycol based. The regular antifreeze is ethelene glycol based. The stuff in my system has been there for over a year and not closed up. The only loss I seem to get is what stays on the shot. I loose about a gallon per 1000 lbs of shot. I just add a gallon and a little dab of soap on occasion and all is well. It does make a good bug killer. Seem any insects that get in it die there, So I have to screen out the bugs periodicaly.

Jim

10. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

The newest coolant we are hearing about is Sun Liquid Laundry Detergent that you can buy at WalMart (Wally World) or Dollar general. It comes in 2 1/2 gal. containers for about $7.00 a container. It washes off with water and makes excellent shot. We haven't tried it yet because we have plenty of coolant stock on hand that we have been using. Everyone that has tried it says it works great and the cost is minimal to other coolants we have used. Ellen

11. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Ellen, do know if the Sun Liquid laundry detergent is diluted? If I were to run the detergent through a trany cooler would I get suds? 10Tenner

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

10Tenner, If you pump it you WILL get suds and lots of them. I tried it already.

Jim

13. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Jim101, thanks, thats what I thought, I will be running a cooling system this spring. 10tenner

14. psfive

psfive Member

With the Sun Liquid Laundry Detergent do you run it full strength or is it diluted? Paul

15. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Straight out of the bottle!!

Jim

16. Lither

Lither TS Member

Go to your local Agricultural chemical supplier, i.e.

Western Farm service
    Simplot
    Tractor supply co.
    Crop production services
    Agriliance
    Royster-Clark
    Wilbur Ellis

ask to purchase a quart of anti-foam like is used in field sprayers. add a couple ounces per gallon of soap in the coolant tank, and you will have no suds, even if you pump you coolant.

it stops foam from agricultural chemicals that are pumped the same way in the bulk tank of a sprayer agitation to keep the chemicals mixed.

17. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

lither, that is some great information, I may have to give it a try! 10tenner

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Thanks Lither. That's interesting info. If it breaks the surface tension to keep it from foaming, Wonder what it will do the shot. May be worthy of an experiment.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.