1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ShotKam Review

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My ShotKam Review.....

Well, I tried my brand new Shotkam out yesterday, 75 shots from the 16, with my Ljutic, just to see if I needed any adjustments. None needed. I set the device up per the instructions, it took about 5 minutes. Very simple to use, really a no brainier. I down loaded the shots on to my laptop (Windows 8) and then downloaded to my desktop (Windows XP) both downloads were simple and worked great. I looked at all the videos and they were clear and detailed (background was trees, no sky) running at 1/4 speed of a regular shot. I could see the breaks and barrel location on each shot in detail. I tried to hit the targets in front, behind, on top, and bottom to get a better understanding as to if I needed to calibrated the camera to my bead. No need. One thing I suggest is holding the gun in longer so you get a better view of the swing through, and how the broken target looks. The extra 7oz weight of the device did not even bother me after the first few shots.

So, what did I learn, on my first day? I am a 38 year trap shooter and I always thought I lifted my head and shot under targets when I missed, or shot behind and below. Well it turned out all the misses were in front and/or over the target. I came up so fast I just went pass the bird. I didn't know this as I only keep my eyes on the bird and only see the bead in a very peripheral view. I also found that when the shot was fired my bead was right on the same level as the bird but, really when the shot hit the bird my bead was one bead or more above the breaking bird. I always thought my bead was level with the bird as it broke. Not true, it's considerably above. And the camera showed this clearly. I suppose I shall never stop learning. It seems all these years of shooting I was completely wrong about my bead/bird relationship. And it only took 75 shots with the Shotkam to find out. So far I'm pleased with the performance of the device.

OK, now the down side: I have not figured out how to download the videos to my thumb drive or delete the old ones from the camera or computer. The instructions are rather vague as to how to move or delete old videos. And if one has to change the alignment of the camera, well, good luck. Once again vague instructions. Lets just say the entire instruction book after the initial setup and use need some improvement for us old, not exactly computer literate geezers. You all know what I mean?

2. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Great writeup.

Question for you......did having the camera mounted at the end of your barrel change the weight dynamics of the gun or did you not really notice it?

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

How and where did you attach the shotkam?

4. RMR

RMR Member

Hi shotgun410ga

thanks for the info- I have been looking at the shotkam for my daughter who shoots bunker.

one question- were you able to clearly see the shot string/pattern in relationship to the clay- especially when you missed??

Did trees in the background make it hard to see the shot pattern??

Thanks

RMR

5. shot410ga

I attached the device about 2.5 inches in front of the forearm. The first few shots I was aware of the extra barrel (front end) weight. After that the weight didn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, it seemed to smooth out my swing. My Ljutic weights 10.1 lbs, with the camera it's weight was 10.8 lbs. The ShotKam came with a barrel attachment (rubber and steel clamp). It doesn't mark the barrel at all. The trees prevented me from seeing the shot pattern or shot string. Although, I could clearly see the target breaking. I will be trying it out at a club with clear Sky's and no obstructions in the next couple of weeks.

6. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

When you did your videos, did you have the target crosshairs image like in this picture?

My club also has a tree background so I'm wondering if the crosshairs are a good substitute.

godawgs_2009_250856.jpg

7. shot410ga

No, I used the bright red crosshair.

8. notenoughguns

notenoughguns Member

To move a video , right click on the file name ( shoot0001 for example ) a pop up menu will come up with options one of which is delete . Another is send to , click on it and it will give you options as to where to send a copy of the video .

Hope this helps

DAN

9. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Treat the ShotKam files just like files on a thumb drive. Mark and drag to the new folder. To delete them, just mark and hit delete.

I am on my second day using my newly received ShotKam. My experiences pretty much follows shot410ga. I used it on Skeet, so I changed the target setting that came with it to "Skeet", then went into the Advanced Settings and changed the choke to "Skeet", and the distance to "20 yards". I also changed the gun type to Automatic. (I am using an 11-87 Skeet with Kolar Comp.) I normally use a magazine weight, so taking that off and putting the ShotKam on was about an equal swap. I checked the alignment with the built in laser and was within an inch of point of aim (at 10 yards). I left the reticule type as the orange and black cross hair.

On my first day, I found myself shooting the low house too soon after the high house, while the high house shot was being saved, hence no video of the low house shot. I have to slow between shots by about 2 seconds. The other issue I had was the "sleep" vs. "Active" modes. The ShotKam goes into sleep mode fairly quickly, and with the gun type as Automatic, dropping a shell in the port and allowing it to chamber normally brings the ShotKam into Active mode. I then put a shell in the magazine for the second single. That works for the first shots, but you have to gently close when loading for Doubles since the ShotKam is still active and I was taking videos of the ground or sky because of the shock of closing the bolt. By gently easing the bolt closed, I don't trigger the recording. I note that the G force to trigger a recording, and the G force for bolt closing to NOT trigger a recording are adjustable. I have not tried adjusting those parameters yet.

What have I learned about my shooting? My first round with the ShotKam was a clean round, but I noticed that I am really dipping my barrel between birds on Doubles, more that I was aware of. I also noticed (and this is something I was aware of) that on Station 6 low house and for Doubles, I move the barrel either down or back a couple of inches before moving on the bird. The ShotKam will be a good way to test as I try to solve that problem.

I think the ShotKam is a good setup, and will be useful in bettering my game and in instruction of new shooters.

10. ShotKam UK

ShotKam UK TS Member

Hi shot410ga

<<OK, now the down side: I have not figured out how to download the videos to my thumb drive or delete the old ones from the camera or computer. The instructions are rather vague as to how to move or delete old videos. And if one has to change the alignment of the camera, well, good luck. Once again vague instructions. Lets just say the entire instruction book after the initial setup and use need some improvement for us old, not exactly computer literate geezers. You all know what I mean? >>

Your comments are valid - we are working on improving the manual right now, and welcome your observations. If you have more comments on it we would love to make it a whole lot better and then send you it or make it available on the ShotKam site for anyone to download. For now we are aware it needs to be better...

Regarding downloading or deleting files, when you join the usb cable to your laptop/pc/Mac, it shows up in the same way as a usb memory stick would, so you can copy files to another folder, rename, delete files as you wish.

With regard to alignment, take a look at the video on the ShotKam You Tube channel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqt600BhGdc - it may help, or if you need some specific advice contact david@shotkam.com

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

A two second delay between doubles (Bob K's comment) make is useless for anylizing problems with skeet doubles from the middle stations. Can the manufacturers comment please?

12. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

it is really nice that the manufacturor contacted you, it seems they have a good product and are really trying to promote it. I have found the concept to be quite fascinating, actually getting to truly analyze each shot.

13. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

eightbore... The two second delay is between Singles (so the ShotKam has a chance to save the video of the first shot), not during Doubles which are saved as a single video file.

14. shot410ga

Thanks for the info about the file swap and delete. I don't think I need to keep 100's of individual video files after I've looked and analyzed them. I'll be using the camera today for some handicap. I will up date the review to include the handicap.

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Bob, thanks for the explanation. I reread your post and now realize you were talking about shooting high and low singles, not a pair of doubles.

16. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I would love to see these clips in a youtube video, or veiwable on this site.

17. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

guinner16:
    Sample clips are available to view on the ShotKam website. The video clips can be large and thus cumbersome to load them on other websites... it takes time, thus I have not done that. Art

18. ShotKam UK

ShotKam UK TS Member

Hi guinner16

Check out the videos on our youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/hitatarget

19. pdq

pdq Member

I wish that instead of purchasing one of these I could put a substantial deposit on one, rent it for a month and then return it, as I suspect that most of the learning occurs within a matter of weeks. For example, many camera shops rent out expensive lenses for short periods of time to pro or serious amateur photographers this way.

Sounds like a great product, just not something that I can afford.

Pete

20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

shot410ga,

Based on what you've learned what will you change so that your shots are more centered on the targets?

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shot kam

shotkam

shotkam cost

shotkam for sale

shotkam price

shotkam review

shotkam reviews

used shotkam for sale