1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shotkam question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RMR, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMR

RMR Member

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the "Shotkam" device. Does it really work and did it help you understand where your shot string, in relationship to the clay, is acyually going.

It looks like a very interesting tool especially in the training of a young shooter- if it actually does what they claim it does
    Thanks RMR

2. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

RMR:
    Indeed I do have a ShotKam and have been using it in TRAP for about a month now.

It clamps to the bottom of your barrel and is out of sight. Does not interfere with your visual sight at all.

It takes a few rounds and analysis to zero in the reticle of the camera to coincide with my actual sight picture. You do this adjustment via the program's setup software that is a JAVA application which runs on your MAC, PC or Laptop while the camera is attached to the computer via a USB cable which is supplied.

Once I got the camera's reticle set up the way I see, then I was able to really do analysis of my trap shooting misses and hits. The result was that after viewing about 15 rounds of 16Y trap, it appeared to me that my gun was actually shooting a tiny bit the the Left <-correction, of the bird as the bird breaks showed that. I moved my comb to the right a bit and that fixed the problem.

I also noticed that some of my misses were caused by a mild barrel bobble or judder or flinch.

Lastly, on the hard rights and lefts that I missed, I seemed to be above the target, on it but just above. Perhaps I was moving my head off of the comb during those times.

I do think the ShotKam can be a great tool for an instructor and pupil who are involved in a long term teacher student relationship. The reason for the long term is that it did take me a few rounds to get the reticle aligned with my bird to bead relationship view.

The ShotKam also shows that you could have some bad habits.... such as I let a friend use my gun and the ShotKam and he is the type of shooter that QUICKLY dismounts the gun right after shooting.... thus the SHotKam did not ever get to see the bird being hit..... very funny actually.

I think that any serious gun club should have a ShotKam on hand for the shooting committee to use with new and advanced shooters.

I hope this helps you out?
    Any further questions... ask.
    I have nothing to do with ShotKam.... just an early user and owner.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I discussed this issue with the inventor. You can shoot over 400 target with the 16 GB device. I wanted to be able to shoot at least a days worth of targets with the less costly Shotkam. And it will do that. I haven't purchased one as yet but I'm thinking about it.

4. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Shot410ga:
    You can shoot a lot of shots with the recording capacity of the ShotKam. I have the deluxe model that has the extended warranty, pelican case and the larger sim card for memory capacity. The typical trap shot on my unit is about 12MBytes per shot.

I tend to download the shots to a 16GB USB Thumb Drive.

I have also created a handy form in which I analyze the shots and take notes.
    When you get your unit let me know and I can send you this form which is a spreadsheet that you can print out.

BTW, you can easily tell if you are on the wrong side of the bird or too much under or over once you get the reticle "dialed in" to your sight picture.

Cheers, Art

5. RMR

RMR Member

Hi Art
    Can you down load to a mobile device like a ipad to look at your shooting while you are still at the range- so you can make adjustments to your shooting right on the spot-ie to help train a youngster about leading the target....
    Thanks

RMR

6. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

How much are these?

7. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

You will need a mobile device that has a USB 2.0 port and can run a JAVA application.
    I do not think that iPads have a USB external port but I may be wrong.
    An inexpensive laptop would work as would any MacBook Air or Pro. (Note that Chromebooks cannot run JAVA at this time, Chromebooks are made by Google/Samsung, and as such are not viable laptops for the ShotKam).

That said, yes you can review your shots in the clubhouse or in the car. It will be very evident that you are or are not leading the bird correctly. Especially if you are on the wrong side of the bird.

The price is on the Shotkam website.

I adjusted my comb to slightly move the Point of Impact.

Thanks
    Art

8. APrice

APrice Active Member

Star4ever, I too don't understand why moving your comb to the right corrected the problem of breaking the target on the right side. You should be moving the comb in the direction that you want the POI to move.

9. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Aprice:
    I am sorry to have confused you.... my shot string was hitting to the LEFT (I miss typed that .. good catch) so I moved my comb a tiny wee bit to the right which corrected the problem. That said, it is a trivial thing... the real item of interest is that in the analysis of my hits with the ShotKam, I was able to see this tendency after viewing in detail a few hundred hits. Probably something that I would have otherwise totally missed.

Thanks for catching that error. I will go up and correct that now.
    Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
do you need to sight in a shotkam

how to zero the shotkam

shotkam
shotkam does it work
shotkam review
shotkam trap shooting training
videos showing how to set up shotkam for trapshooting